Sunday, June 3, 2007

Garden Tour

"It was the third of June, another sleepy dusty Delta day...." How many of you remember that song? I hope it will get as stuck in your head as it has been in mine all day!

So here are just a few shots taken today of various views around the homeplace. I so love the way every day a new old friend is opening up and blooming for the first time this year...my roses are so happy NOT TO BE EATEN!!!!!

This little corner plot is right by the entry to the house. Right now this out of control rose has drooped over a third of it...but it is a once bloomer, so when it is finished I will cut it way back so all those guys getting shaded can have some sunlight. Those perennial viburnum along the edges are going to take over the sidewalk over the next several weeks, and so is that seemingly harmless pot of white and pink Wave petunias.

This is above the rose garden looking down to the house. That japonica tree is about to peak with its pink blooms and is full of bees and hummingbirds. You can hardly notice the deer fence, see?
I heart my deer fence!

Art Shot! Looking down the driveway from under the japonica. That tree was 4 feet tall when I planted it.

This is the property that borders our big garden, to the southwest. Those cows remind me of my dairy days, even though they are beevies. We are hoping developers don't get busy here, but they probably will eventually.
That "hedge" you see in the foreground is solid blackberries.

Robert is blissfully hoeing his taters after having watered his corn beds. That is a mole trap under the bucket in the foreground. We are very sad to do it, but we dispatch the occasional mole to the astral where he can eat all the earthworms he wants. He is after all destroying my wildflower bed here.

Well, not quite. This is a typical section of what is happening in that front border. It has been weeded, so maybe half of what you see here will be blooming in about 6 weeks. The moss roses germinated well; there are several varieties of California poppies, some godetia, and I forget what else. Time will tell!
We are due a big change in the weather this week...25 degrees cooler. I just hope it doesn't pour on all my roses. But...if it hails, all the lavender will release the most heavenly scent from being pounded by the hailstones. I guess whatever happens in June is pretty magical.

"...and me I spend a lot of time pickin' flowers up on Choctow Ridge/and drop them into the muddy waters off the Tallahatchee Bridge....."

10 comments :

Deb Sews Quilts said...

Your landscaping is beautiful!!! Wish you hadn't shared the song..now it is in my head. Will have to think of a good one to send your way back...:)

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

I do!!!!I remember the song because my friend made me..it i her birthday and she kept singing that so I would not forget! LOL. Too funny. Allie, I don't have a lot of computer time, but will return to browse your new project. Looks delightfully fun!

Threadspider said...

Hey-arrives from the east whistling "Tallahtachee bridge"- just been walking round your garden, admiring the space and imagining mine multiplied by 10 is still going to be a great deal smaller. I love the tumbled rose border and the way roses do that. I hacked backed my worst tumbler last winter. It won't flower this year but its already 7 feet high and climbing. It's such a beautiful season and I'm so glad to see your pictures. You surely have a beautiful Eden there. Sigh. Departs whistling .. "And I think to myself, what a wonderful world : )

Deb Hardman said...

Pretty garden. It's easy to see where you get your inspiration for your quilts. What a lovely pastoral neighborhood you have. I hope you don't get developers there!

Marty52 said...

And just what DID they throw off that bridge??? Great song... too many years ago in another age and time. *sigh*

You have such a gorgeous garden... and so free of close neighbors, especially now that you have the deer fence. It looks like a wonderful place to take an evening stroll!

Amy Munson said...

When can I come visit? LOL. I grew up in the country and miss the peaceful serenity of being surrounded by nature. Not that I live in the big bustling city now, Bismarck is small by most standards. I will be visiting my folks in the Black Hills this weekend and I know I will enjoy the quiet afternoons surrounded by trees and family enjoying the beauty of the Hills not to mention the Quilt Show we will be taking in and the lecture by Robby Joy Eklow.

dee said...

thanks for stopping by Allie-I've admired your work for some time now and now I can admire your garden as well. Beautiful and yes, my family is a lot of fun. Have a great day!Now I've got that song in my head. Deb of Red Shoe Ramblings calls it an earworm.

Peticelul Romanesc said...

I love your garden!Corina

Rian said...

Thanks for the stroll around your garden. That song is so haunting.

Granny Fran said...

What a wonderful and well loved garden! I love the cows in the fantastically green pasture. Even our greenest places aren't that green here in the Upper Sonoran Desert. Developers go away!