Saturday, June 23, 2007

Floral 9 Patch, Embellishing Those Curves

This project just feels like a yummy indulgence, it is so much fun!
I've been working on the top section, basically trying to sharpen the focus of the quilt's composition with my seam treatments along the curves, without cluttering things up too much. This is raising all my favorite design questions: about value (especially value), texture, color, weight of line..how to get the eye to move the way I want it, and to keep the shape and balance of the overall piece to my liking as well.
It's all pretty intuitive, which is such a satisfying faculty to engage...

This gets much bigger if you click on it. I am trying to sustain a balancing act with these seam treatments, for sure.

I knew I wanted to lighten things up with that band of lace, but it was too light and clunky. So I took a cue from the handkerchief print next door.

Out came the pearls. I knew this was ineveitable. I wanted to darken the line along that wide woven trim but not embellish on it..so those bugles came in handy. Those round green Bakelite beads are a hoot...got them at a bead show and I just love using them.
I'm working my way from the outside in on this quilt...I'm having such a good time, and it's not even illegal, immoral, or fattening!

8 comments :

Threadspider said...

Truly delicious. What a fine eye for colour and form you have.

Kate said...

You do fabulous work. I enjoy reading where you get your inspiration for various seams. Thanks for sharing.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

and I get my inspiration for various seams here!!! This is looking so very fine - as usual. Glad to see you relaxing a bit with a needle in your hand again. I had despaired of a post until after next Tuesday!!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

So pretty- love your work!

Kathy Morrow said...

Beautiful work as always, Allie!

Debra Dixon said...

Well, the only fattening is sitting on your bottom all the time to do the stitching! *wink*
Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to stitch and walk the treadmill at the same time. I have that problem with gum and walking too!

Deb Hardman said...

Very pretty Alli. It amazes me how well thought out your crazy quilts are. Mine tend to be sort of mindless. I just do what 'feels' right. I've never really thought that much about it. Now I'm thinking I must've done it all wrong!

Susan said...

I love what you are doing! That white lace with all the little flowers on it is just perfect, and the blue rickrack is gorgeous, too.