Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Coloring Lace with Tsukineko Inks

*edit 6.20.07* in response to some questions, you can find these inks at www.sewthankful.com
*edit 6.21.07* LouAnne asked if the techniques are different in using these inks and OzCraft dyes...I don't know as I have never used those. I've heard they are great, though. Anybody know?

Susan Nixon sent me some nice lace along with her check for a Jump Start Fabric Pack. Thanks, Susan!!!
I knew right off that it was the perfect scale for my next seam treatment...but I needed to color it to blend in with my block.
Out come the Tsukineko inks for on the spot transformation from white lace to earthy lace. My method is so quick and dirty...the lace doesn't look perfectly dyed or anything...but the irregularities in the pigment will become blended by the stitching that will go over it.
Have a look....

My target is the main curved seam in this block that follows the leaf.

I wanted the lace to blend in with the orange and green that is going on in the block, and I wanted to make it darkish in value.
Lynn Majidimehr wrote an article in CQMagOnline awhile back, Coloring Lace with All Purpose Tsukineko Inks. I referred to that, and you can too, just click the link.

It looks a little muddie, with the green and orange blending like that. But flowers grow in mud, right? It's o.k. to have some dirt in my quilt! And the stitching will even this all out.

When applying lace or trim to a curve, I like to iron it into shape first. Some laces will give you a pretty good bend.

A little trick here. I open up the seam where my lace is going to "end" with my seam ripper. Then I insert the end of the lace and whip stitch it all closed and in place. I do this all the time, because I almost never add trim or lace while I am piecing. And it is easier and less bulky than tucking under the end of the lace and sewing that down on top of the block.

Here we go, all done!

12 comments :

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Excellent tips Allie. Love the one about ironing trim into the shape it is going....hmmm. This is going to be beautiful, but what else can we expect from you?

Threadspider said...

What a brilliant idea to dye thelace like that. I'm not sure I have access to the ink but I've certainly learned something new. Thank you.

Susan said...

That looks great! I'm glad it came in handy so soon!

Rian said...

Ooooh, very cool! I need to get me some o' dem inks!

Debra Dixon said...

Good hint to tuck into the back of my mind when I begin playing with trims again. Thanks!

Marty52 said...

I think I need some of those inks, too. Looks like fun... of course!

Micki said...

Thanks for the info. The block looks great with the new lace and beads.

Sandie said...

I have heard of these inks/dyes, but not seen anyone use them! How wonderful, and just look at the colours - delicious! Matches the block to perfection. Can I ask where you purchase the inks from???

Barbara C said...

Thanks for the link with the excellent tutorial. This method really gives a custom result.

Your appliqued leaves look great.

LouAnne said...

I too would like to know where you can buy these inks. Are there places on the web? Guess I'll go do a search although they seem to work about the same as the Ozcraft dyes that I use.

Good tips today too!

Gerry said...

Thanks for the tips. And the block piecing tutorial is GREAT!

LouAnne said...

Allie: thanks for the link for the inks. Have you ever used Ozcraft dyes? If you have can you tell me what, if any, differences there is between the 2 techniques? Thanks!