Monday, December 21, 2009

Vintage CQ...Flowers #29 and #30

Got them all done by Christmas!

#29 was another experiment with the Dancing Needle. This time I loaded it up with four 4mm silk ribbons at once, to get some very dense loops.
Really, it is so easy to achieve this much detail in almost no time at all.

This is supposed to be a marigold...the leaves were cut from silk that had been dunked in a 1 part glue/2 parts water solution. This acts to prevent the fabric from fraying, but the fabric is still cut and sewable. Easy peasy.

#30 was made from a lace motif hand dyed by Nicki Lee. I love her soft colors. I cut it up and rearranged things a bit, and added some small wired rim ribbon bells....

The biggest challenge with this 30 block series has been to fill that black diamond space in different ways. I think there were about four basic variations...

Now I get to play with arranging them all and then I will sew them together at last. I'll have to add more fly stitching to the new seams of course. That should take awhile...good busy work for airplane rides, of which there will be many for me in the coming year.

Meanwhile, after it is sewn together I will start making a new set of blocks to go around this center section. The ones from last summer didn't cut it! But that's fine, because I love to sew blocks.....

13 comments :

Thelma said...

Beautiful flowers !! Can't wait to see them all sewn together. Hope you have a Merry Christmas can't believe it's already here. This year sure went by fast!

Judy S. said...

These are all so pretty, Allie. I can't begin to decide which one I like best; that'll have to wait till they're put together, and even then I know it will be hard! Have a wonderful holiday.

Debra Dixon said...

All the flowers are so pretty! And everyone so unique too.

Walden said...

I love #29, the ribbon is simply beautiful! The leaves work so well with it too!

FredaB said...

Allie how clever to use the glue/water on the fabric ribbon. This would definitely stop it from fraying and you will not be washing this. Also turned out so pretty.

The bells you added to #30 just hit the right spots. Looks great with the lace flowers.

Hugs

FredaB

Summerset said...

Just beautiful. I'm guessing that 30 of them stretched the creativity a bit! I can't wait to see how you remake that border.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This is certainly a marigold!! good job. These are just awfully pretty, and I look forward to seeing it all sewn together. Another great adventure completed.

Flowers said...

Nice blog. I like your needle painting and love your design of flowers. Expecting some more designs on your upcoming blog.

Conni said...

Two more beautiful blocks! Looking forward to seeing this quilt go together!

WISHIN U AN UR PPLZ VRY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Amy Munson said...

Would love to see all of the blocks together. What fun and a challenge to fill all 30 blocks with something different. Have a happy holidays.

Susan Elliott said...

Persistence pays off! Indeed, it is a marigold and I would love to see how the dancing needle holds four strands at once! The effect is beautiful and I can see where it would come in handy if you were going to whip out an entire border of them...like we know you to do!! I'm most interested in the use of the fabric with the glue...what type of glue did you use and what type of silk? I'm going to have to try that once I'm through partying back here in Maryland...not that making flowers isn't a party...I suppose it is...OK...I'm rambling again...

Merry Merry Christmas...Santa comes tonight! Hope you get something good in your stocking!

Love love love your blog and you, Susan

kanishk said...

This year sure went by fast!

Work from home India

Narayan Sukla said...

Send gifts to Hong Kong. Birthday gifts, anniversary gifts, valentine’s day gifts to Hong Kong, mother’s day gifts to Hong Kong, father’s day gifts, christmas gifts to Hong Kong, christmas flowers, wine gifts, gourmet gifts, gift hampers to Hong Kong, holiday gifts, gift basket to Hong Kong, cristmas gift basket, wine gift basket to Hong Kong, gourmet gift baskets and corporate gifts to Hong Kong.

We are an online gift shop always at your service. Service with top quality, lesser costs, high reliability and heart. Don't believe us. Simply experience it or even compare us. We know you will be with us and how we do it is simple! Some qualified directors, dedicated staff, top class & professional Hong Kong gifts network of 1000's of gift Shop penetrating countries states, cities & even small towns and of course a sound, smooth, fair & easy to use website based on high technology platform.
www.giftbasketshongkong.hk