Thursday, December 3, 2009

Vintage CQ...Flower #26

California poppies are a favorite around here, the way they reseed themselves everywhere and are one of the earliest sources of bright color in the spring.
I've been making this flower for a few years, too....but never tried it on this small a scale. It was fun!

I started by creating the leaves on water soluble stabilizer, just using embroidery thread in a straight stitch on my Juki sewing machine with the feed dogs down.

For the petals I fused two pieces of silk together with some heavy weight Steam A Seam fusible web. Fusing the fabrics does tend to reduce fraying along the edge when you cut it.
See how nice the leaf came out, after I washed the stabilzer away?

And here they are blooming.
I added a little shading to the leaf with some gel pens.

Four more flowers to go! Then I get to sew them all together....

11 comments :

Marty52 said...

Another technique to try... I need to retire REAL soon! ;0)

Susan Elliott said...

Oh these are SO sweet!

Shogun said...

I really love this one, but I am beginning to sound like an echo.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

What a cheerful and beautiful thing to see!! We're actually having gloomy cold winter here in Austin - strange.

Raspberry said...

I'm loving these poppies, and your cornflower was lovely too. So sad I can't attend your class...the Portland area is so wonderful.

Debra Dixon said...

Pretty!

Rian said...

These are the sweetest poppies ever!

FredaB said...

Just love the poppies and the leaf is great. Must get the juices flowing - maybe in the new year.

Hugs

FredaB

Anonymous said...

So great to see you have taken to teaching like a duck to water. And poppies are my favorites!

Conni said...

Another beautiful block! Love the leaf technique!

Granny Fran said...

You did justice to one of my favorite flowers, again!