Friday, December 11, 2009

Vintage CQ...Flower #27

Needlepunch!
What a great technique it is for creating three dimensional flowers. For Flower #27 of the Vintage CQ I decided to try needlepunch with 4mm silk ribbon.

Because I couldn't ''punch'' directly onto one of my blocks (you have to keep the punching surface very taut in a hoop and the block was too small for that), I punched into a tightly woven cotton black fabric that I could then applique onto my block.
The above picture shows three flower centers punched with 6 strand cotton floss...with the needle punch adding the 4mm silk ribbon.

Here is how it looks on the other side of the hoop. Those ribbon loops were so quick and easy to form!

And here is the finished block:

I stitched on some of that pre-fab leaf trim you can buy (after I dunked it into some "Sulpher Green" Dye-Na-Flow and let it dry).
Then I cut out my three flowers, folded under the margin of black fabric around them, and stitched them into place.

This block is so top heavy and wonky! Really, it must have been one of the first ones I made, as the black star is so asymmetrical. I tried to compensate for that with the shape of the flower...I just didn't want to redo the whole block at this stage of the game! (My bad....)

My dear friend Freda B has lent me the use of her "Dancing Needle". It is a needlepunch tool especially designed for using WIDE 7mm and 13mm ribbon.

This tool looks positively lethal, doesn't it? We used to give our cows IVs for milk fever with needles that were not nearly this big!
But it could make a really awesome Vintage Flower #28.... We'll try that next!

14 comments :

Esther Gregory said...

*shudder* that neck IV cow comment will stick with me for a while. I do like the way the flowers turned out. They do seem a little unfinished, like some of the ribbon loops are sideways with respect to the center. Not to be too critical ;-P I know your experimenting.

Vicki W said...

Cool!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Tell Esther I'm sending her my grandmother's butter churn for future use. I really like this effect with the needle punch and silk ribbon - and hope you've shown it to Jean K. Something different!!

Debra Dixon said...

Those are very cool flowers and I think I need to add needlepunch to my repetoire too.

Raspberry said...

I've never done needlepunch....I'm a little afraid of it. :)
The flowers turned out gorgeous!

Jane said...

Your posts this past year have taught me so much about experimenting, playing, materials, proportions, imagination, dedication and what can be accomplished with needling perseverance towards a goal... but most of all, you've shown me that being true to your original self and emulating what you love is the heart of creativity! Happy Hanukkuh and Merry Christmas, my friend!

Judy S. said...

Those pretty flowers look just like the asters that bloom here in the fall. It sure was a lot warmer then.....

Rengin Yazitas said...

Allie,
This is a fantastic combination, great idea:))
Season's greetings...
Rengin

Thelma said...

Very pretty! I didn't know you could needlepunch silk ribbon. Too cool! I have a needlepunch for threads
and haven't tried it yet.

Barbara said...

I should know better then to read your blog...you get me into so much trouble. I just had to order this needle and one of the books.

Your flowers are lovely and I see so much potential for embellishing.

Thanks for adding to my addiction! LOL

FredaB said...

Allie the small ones turned out beautiful and I can hardly wait to see one of the large ones on your next square.

There will be a run on punchneedle now. Maybe we should get a commision. Or you should, you did the work.

Hugs

FredaB

Conni said...

I absolutely love your needlepunched flowers! I purchased a needlepunch years ago and, try as I might, I could never get the hang of the darned thing. I’m going to have to give it another go...

Miri said...

Your silk ribbon punch needle flowers are wonderful. I'm going to have to try this-it combines two things I really enjoy!

Granny Fran said...

This block has a wonderful Victorian look to it with those needlepunched flowers.