Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"My Madonna"....UFO finished

My good friends Barbara Curiel and Debra Spincic have been working on a joint project called "The Madonna Idea" for a few years now, each making their own quilts about the Madonna and collaborating on some too. They have a blog where you can see them here. They are wonderful.

When Debra and I first "met" online over four years ago, I emailed her my favorite image of the Madonna and she made a gel transfer print out of it for me. In February of 2006 I started working with it at the annual quilt retreat I attend at Point Bonita.

This is as far as I got, appliqueing all the elements by hand....

For some reason I was experimenting with laying out my quilt and embellishing it directly onto batting as my foundation. I can't remember why I thought that would be a good idea, but I do remember not liking it.
After I got home from PB, my Madonna waited almost four years for me to finish Her.

This is what I started with a few days ago.

And here it is, completed. She is 15" X 20 1/2".
I wanted the embellishments to be lavish but very understated. You have to come close to really see them...a metaphor, perhaps, for our inner approach to Her.

Here are a few detail pictures, though.

This is supposed to suggest a rose window in a church...at least, that is what it meant to me.

I enjoyed drawing from my collection of lace motifs and doilies, sometimes layering one over part of another.

I'm so glad this is finished...it's going to hang in my room at last.

29 comments :

Kyleigh said...

I absolutely saw "rose window" before reading your caption. The entire piece is gorgeous!

Vicki W said...

Beautiful and very elegant!

FredaB said...

Oh Allie this is so beautiful. I love the soft colors and lace is perfect for this. The rose window is another personal best.

Hugs

FredaB

elsie123 said...

Beautiful work. And isn't it nice to get a project finished!

Margaret said...

Exquisitely done, Allie! Yes, it is the perfect balance of 'lavish' and 'understated'. A lovely tribute to Theotokos!

Conni said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Suzanne Kistler said...

Beautiful!

Lisa Boni said...

Really beautiful and wonderfully serene. Love the subdued palatte of blue and white. The Madonna image is just beautiful and your work frames it perfectly!

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh this is just beautiful!!!

Esther Gregory said...

it's precious

Jean said...

Your Madonna turned out beautiful!
At the beginning of December I went to a lovely display of Mary and the baby Jesus. An older couple that has been married close to 40 years has been collecting pictures of Mary and Jesus all this time. They have hundreds of them. He spoke about how their home is a humble place, not some huge mansion where they can display them all at all times. But, they do display them all when they ever they get the opportunity. Like that evening. It was lovely. Peaceful too. Makes you appreciate what was done for us.

Judy S. said...

Fantastic, Allie! Have a very Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

I really, really like this. The shape is perfect for the subject. The colors suit the theme. It's like a personal shrine. Congratulations.

Summerset said...

Beautiful. The colors are just right - lovely and serene. I like the suggestion of the rose window, too.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

What a peaceful, loving, and serene image to have in your room! Gorgeous work around her also.

Pamela Kellogg said...

Stunning work as always Allie! I too love the soft, understated embellishments.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Pam

Jane said...

This is a beautiful piece Allie and I loved what you said about "coming close enough" to see the details of Her. I agree that the shape you chose was perfect. Have a wonderful New Year...

Sandra said...

It doesn't matter how long it takes - you did a beautiful job on your Madonna. I love the colors and all the lace. And the rose window is inspired.

stitchin' girl said...

That is exquisite! Your attention to detail and balance is amazing!

Debra Dixon said...

Very Pretty and a great finish! I love all the wonderful interpretations of the Madonna; yours too!

Rian said...

"Exquisite" is definitely the word. She's hauntingly beautiful and I love the teal colors. Great job!

Raspberry said...

This is lovely! What a beautiful idea.

Anonymous said...

Your madonna is beatiful and quietly spiritual. I'm not catholic but I can see her grace, and yours, in this piece. Stunning.

Susan Elliott said...

Oh I would really like to see this up close. The madonna image is very very lovely...did you do anything to the image herself or is she left au naturel?

The other are so correct in the choice of palette...the fabric you framed her in is perfect...and the placement and use of the doilies sends me visions of angel wings.

The rose window surrounded by the crystal buttons is really special...she could hang on my wall any day...I am so intrigued with the madonnas of you and Debra and Barbara...I'm going to have to hunt for my madonna to work with...

Just home from being away so I'm on to your next post...xo Susan

Shirley Pando said...

absolutely gorgeous!

Granny Fran said...

Ally, she will be such a blessing to you on your bedroom wall. This is such a special piece.

Barbara C said...

I'm glad to see your finished Madonna. The color scheme and lace embellishment are especially lovely.

anamika said...

Add playful passion to the festivity of loved ones by sending our splendid flower arrangements to UAE, tempting gift hampers to UAE, fresh fruits to UAE, cheerful balloons to UAE, lovely roses to UAE, terrific holiday gifts to UAE and superb gift baskets to UAE. The flowers and gifts delivered all over UAE from uaeflrist.com perk up your dear ones in spectacular style. We offer strong customer service support and advanced on line technology for delivery of our flowers and gifts to UAE.
Please visit:
www.uaeflorist.com

Terri said...

WOW! This is lovely!