Saturday, December 26, 2009

Needlepunch Flower Pin... A Tutorial

Continuing my experiments with the Dancing Needle, I made a couple of flower pins to give as last minute Christmas gifts. Or maybe I'll call them "New Year's Gifts"...yes, that's better!

I took pictures along the way so you could see how the process went. My biggest pleasure and discovery is that needlepunch allows for combining all kinds of fibers...and we crazy quilters definitely have big stashes of those to draw from.

There are 15 pictures in all, with the captions below each picture.

This is my initial "gathering" for one of the flowers. As you can see, fibers range from sewing machine thread to unspun thick silk to silk habotai meant for rotary cutting into 1" strips.

Using my smallest needle punch, I used three threads at once for the center of the flower, starting with the outline of the shape I wanted to fill in.

Nice! Along the outer edge of the circle I had taken out the darkest thread, so it looks lighter. Lots of fun color play is possible with this stuff!

Switching to a larger needle and increasing the length of the loops, I added unspun silk thread. Texture is another big variable to play with using this technique.

Fast forward....4mm and 7mm silk ribbon have gone on, along with more unspun silk. Here I am adding the silk habotai. I could have gone wider with the strips if I'd wanted to; this huge needlepunch still had plenty of "room" in it.

I was working on a blue and white flower, too. This picture is to show that you can add detail using fine threads after the fact of getting the bulky ribbon punched in.

Fast forward again. I've felted some silk and wool fibers onto green cotton flannel for my leaves and cut them out. The Timtex circles on the left are cut out to fit the backs of the flowers.

Here I am making a running stitch around the perimeter of the flower's base fabric, using beading thread for strength.

I pulled on the thread and it gathered pretty well. A few extra stitches here and there tightened things up.

The leaves have been embroidered and wire sewn onto their backs so they can be shaped. In this picture I have sewn on a backing of lightweight silk, leaving the bottom open. I trimmed the silk, turned the leaves, and sewed them onto the timtex on the backs of my flowers.

Two more Timtex circles were cut out and a pinback glued to each one.

I made slits in the ultrasuede to poke the ends of the pinback through, and then glued the ultrasuede onto the Timtex and to the back. Then I sewed this to the back of the flower, covering the ends of the leaves and giving a nice finish.

I also added a few beads around the edges of the leaves on this one.

So here is one of them....it could look great pinned to a black scarf...

This one I imagine worn on the lapel of a jean jacket...

I could keep playing with these but I have a UFO calling to me....it's been waiting for five years and the time is right. You'll see!.....

27 comments :

Deb Hardman said...

You know, I have a couple of needle punch sets that I've inherited, but never got around to playing with them. Maybe I'll get inspired, thanks so much to you Allie!

Yor flower pins are spectacular!

Conni said...

Great tutorial! These pins are gorgeous!

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful pieces, the blue is my favorite.

Debbie

Judy S. said...

Very nice, Allie. I bought a pattern last summer that turned out to have needle punch in it, and your work has made that project seem less scary! Glad to hear you also have some long-standing UFOs like I do!

Lisa Boni said...

Just gorgeous! I'm going to have to hunt up one of these large punch needles and play with this idea! The pins are fabulous (and I love the leaves you added too!)

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

How beautiful! Love this! :)

Pat said...

Allie, Those lucky recipients, these are GORGEOUS!!! Happy Holidays...pat

Flowers said...

Nice blog. I must appreciate your art of stitching and embroidering the flower. It looks so cute.

Granny Fran said...

I definitely have to get some needle punches to make some of these. They are fantastic and would make great gifts. I've got daughters' birthdays coming up the next 4 months, not to mention granddaughters.

Granny Fran said...

What kind of fabric did you use to punch into?

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Fabulous! - and what fun to play with something small! I like the pink one. These might also do for a hair ornament.

Debra Dixon said...

Lots of ideas here--could be pinned just about anywhere! Lovely!

Vicki W said...

What a great pin. They would also look terrific on a winter coat.

Anonymous said...

These are absolutely stunning - I've never heard of the needle punch device you use but am very tempted to investigate further and see if I can get one as I love these brooches. Thank you for all of the fabulous pictures and information and best wishes for 2010 - Shelly xx

Sandra said...

Very lovely! And a great tutorial, as usual. Thanks for thinking of those of us who don't know how to do these things.
Happy New Year.

Susan Elliott said...

All the textures look yummy Allie!

meg cox said...

Wow! These are so gorgeous. If you ever decide to sell these as pins, I am your customer! Really amazing.

Barbara C said...

These are really lovely. The textured leaves make them extra special

kanishk said...

Maybe I'll get inspired, thanks so much to you Allie!


Work from home India

Thelma said...

Awesome Tutorial Allie! Such beautiful flowers! Someone is surely going to love getting those for a gift! Thanks for sharing how you made them .

Raspberry said...

These are so beautiful! I particularly love the leaves. Now I just have to get the guts to try it myself... :)

flavia said...

bellissimo Allie!
quanto sono belli questi fiori...sembrano veri!!!

Amy said...

They are so cute! I might have to try that. Right now it's so cold and snowy, just seeing a bright flower warms me up.

I would be honored if you would please share a photo on my website. http://www.embroidery-methods.com/punch-needle-patterns.html

I'm looking for the best needlepunch patterns. I'd be happy to exchange a link back to your blog!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am Brazilian and I do not speak the language ...
I wonder where to find the needles to buy.
I am grateful.
Maria


Ola, sou brasileira, e não falo o idioma...
Gostaria de saber onde encontrar as agulhas para comprar.
Muito agradeço.
Maria
akethh@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am Brazilian and I do not speak the language ...
I wonder where to find the needles to buy.
I am grateful.
Maria


Ola, sou brasileira, e não falo o idioma...
Gostaria de saber onde encontrar as agulhas para comprar.
Muito agradeço.
Maria
akethh@gmail.com

modeflowers said...

I wanna try this one some other time even though its kinda hard but still i will try cause its so gorgeous and unique.

florists singapore said...

Im impressed, I must say. Very rarely do I come across a blog thats both informative and entertaining, and let me tell you, youve hit the nail on the head. Your blog is important; the issue is something that not enough people are talking intelligently about. Im really happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this issue.