Friday, October 31, 2008

CQ Landscape...A Warm-Up...Finished

If your glitter stash is stored in plain sight where you walk by it every day....well, a girl can get ambushed by it and I was last night.
So helplessly I got out my glue, glitter, and beads and went for one last encounter with my experimental CQ landscape.
And now it is telling me, "Done!"

Here's the back....

I had fused the knit interfacing over the back after I did the felting and before the heavy embroidery went on. It may have helped "lock" the felting in place...not sure about that. But it definitely strengthened the blocks and kept them from bunching up under all that stitching. I ironed the piece often as I went along, using a press cloth.

A detail shot shows part of my glittery bead trail....of course it is supposed to suggest the sunshiny wind on a cloudy day...

I also handstitched lightly around the lettering to keep it from puffing up. I used silver metallic sewing machine thread for this.

And here is the overall piece....

You never know where undirected experimenting will take you, that is for sure.
I think trees are going to stay on my brain for awhile....

Some nice news....
At the last minute this summer I decided to enter "Crazy for Flowers" into the International Quilt Festival show along with my "For Uncle Hal" quilt. Well, it got in too, and ended up winning Second Place in the Embellished Quilt category in Houston this week. I'm so glad I sent it off!

24 comments :

Diane said...

It's beautiful! Close up I can see that there is an enormous amount of work in this and I just have a question about the leaves that have their veins outlined in beads. Are these pieces of fabric that you have cut out separately>

Judy S. said...

Congratulations, Allie! So glad your beautiful work is gaining recognition.

Kay said...

Congratulations, Allie. I'm so happy for you. That makes me wish I could have seen the show.

Debra Dixon said...

Both of your quilts were the highlight of the Embellished category, IMHO! Congratulations!!

Marty52 said...

Comment the first:
This gorgeous landscape could be the start of a new series for you! also... love that bead trail with the leaves swirling about in it... very cool and spiffy keeno!

Comment the second:
WOOOOOOHOOOOO! for Crazy for Flowers and you! Awesome news... way to go Allie!!!!!!!!!

Esther Gregory said...

So you glued glitter onto your piece? Did you use a special glue for that? Or special glitter? I guess now that I'm working at JoAnn's this technical stuff is more interesting to me even when I'm not planning on doing it in my current projects (you never know what a customer might ask)

Cathy said...

Wow!! Congrats, Allie, on your well-deserved recognition in the show (I can't imagine what could possibly have taken first over your piece!) You're definitely a rising star! Hugs, Cathy

Summerset said...

Congratulations on your award, of course!;) This is a beautiful quilt - the glitter and beading is perfect, just like little rays of sunshine.

Vicki W said...

Congratulations on your award!!! I lvoe how the tree turned out. Yes, please do more!

Deb Hardman said...

Spectacular! Both the piece & the win! Congratulations!

Barbara C said...

Congratulations on the recognition of your fine work. How wonderful to have two pieces in the show.

JoWynn Johns said...

Congratulations! What good news! And your tree quilt is just amazing. Amazing! (And so joyful.)

Rian said...

I love your windy piece with the sparkly beads. Reminds me of the Santa Anas we get in So Cal this time of year.

Congratulations on Crazy for Flowers! I'm so pleased for you.

xoxo

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Congrats too on acquiring Esther- she is indeed a kindred spirit! I wish I could have gone to Houston to see it "in person." So close (Austin) and yet so far. I hope you do more trees - the beads were the perfect finishing touch

Teodo said...

FANTASTIC thanks.
ciao ciao

Lisa Boni said...

I love this! It definitely has the sparkling feel of crisp autumn day with the leaves dancing in the wind!

Lauren said...

Wow, the tree is breathtaking and congrats too on your award!

Anonymous said...

I saw your quilts in Houston - and they were even better in person than seeing them on your blog.
Would you like a picture of them hanging there?
marcih@kc.rr.com

Nellie's Needles said...

All those layers! Wonderful!

Kudos for your quilts even being in Houston, let alone winning awards!

Jane said...

I'm on a tree swing underneath... ahhhhh!!! Simply beautiful...

Jo in NZ said...

Allie, I love this piece, and the "swirling wind" is so well done. Perfect!

Great news about your Houston quilts too, but we never would of expected any less, you know.

Jane said...

This piece is wonderful, I think it gives a perfect feeling of a sunny autumn day. You mentioned the words; what do they say?

Jane

Jean said...

Well, congratulations on the award! Your racking them up! What a great feeling of accomplishment that must give you.
Although you have put so much work into these, they are just so comfortable and really transport me to the trees!

Amy Munson said...

Congratulations for your win at Houston!