Monday, October 27, 2008

CQ Landscape...A Warm-Up

For the past year I have been mulling over how make a crazy landscape quilt.....I'm finally starting to get a handle on it so have been playing with a practice piece to get things rolling.
Newer readers might like to check out these pages of my website. They show a good sample of my landscape "phase" as a sane quilter.

I know that I definitely want to combine printed photos on fabric with more traditional CQ type fancy fabrics, soI dug into a small pile of "reject" prints that went into the mix below. This little piece is about the fall trees...and the wind that gets the leaves blowing across the sky....

This measures 16" X 24".
"Om Tat Sat" is Sanskrit and can be translated as "Supreme Absolute Truth". I always feel God in the sky. There is a wonderful saying, "I drink Thy power from the mighty cup of the wind..."
It's been really windy around here, too!

Those brown limbs are a fabulous chenille yarn that has been felted in place with the Babylock Embellisher. Thanks, Leonie, for that great yarn!

Then I used the embellisher to "felt applique" the leaves down...except for the shiny ones. Those are holographic lame that have been fused in place.
I've embroidered some finer detail on some of the branches, and am trying out some simple stitches along the seams in the bottom right section.
I just want to see how to combine these different elements.

Oh, and just for fun, here is basically the same quilt from 1997...

It is 16" X 19".
I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same...

12 comments :

Debra Dixon said...

What a great start! that embellisher has really been a boon for your artwork. Who'd a thought?

Judy S. said...

They may be similar quilts, but the new one is much more interesting..... Do you know the poem by Christina Rosetti "Who Has Seen the Wind"? Your quilt brought it to mind.....

Nellie's Needles said...

Allie, I just checked out your wonderful quilts on your web page. They're all amazing, especially your Lake Michigan series. Thanks for that link.

Oh, both of these "windy" quilts are great ... each in their own way.

Girl, you are good ... and have been for a loooong time.

Susan Elliott said...

I wonder if you did a "what if" approach? What if you pieced the quilt and then looked for the outline of an image within the seams...kind of like those old color in the numbers and the picture is revealed? I'm sure you knew that you were going to do a tree but what if you didn't? I liked that you chopped up the images...and I also loved the sanskrit -- this quilt is definitely more artsy than the first one. That embellisher....how much did that cost?? Have a beautiful day, Allie.

Kay said...

I don't think you can go wrong with trees, sky, and autumn leaves. This is not to belittle what you've done. It's beautiful, and I'm looking forward to see it progress.

Jane said...

Love how you caught the dapples of light. So cool that you can go back to past work and see the evolution of your process... can't help my self from humming that old jingle, "You've Come Along Way, Baby"...
http://www.tobaccovideos.com/commercials/001virginiaslims.html
This is too funny!

Anonymous said...

I like both quilts and i especially like seeing them together.

Suzanne said...

I like how you post photos of your work as it progresses...it's looking great!

Leonie said...

Glad to see you stretching and growing with your work Allie. The chenille does the trick! Good wishes for future endeavors.

As always,
LĂ©onie x

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Your horizons and skills seem to have expanded since you acquired that embellisher! It's so good to see you doing "crazy" again.

Anonymous said...

Oh goody, another AAA quilt to watch grow and develop! I shall have to remember your quote when the [damnable] spring winds blow on the central coast!

Jean said...

You know, if you think about it... your right! The more things change the more things stay the same, just like leaves on a tree!