My roses were inspired by those Dove roses Matt and I saw. They didn't come out exactly the same, but I was quite happy with my results.
They were EASY, too!
But the entire success depended on my having exactly the right fabric to make my petals out of....
This humble old scarf is a lightweight, satin weave polyester. It has shine, seals like a charm (no charring), and it even curls on the edges when it melts. Perfect for petals!
My other "ingredients" are some silk sewing thread, a longish and fine but sturdy needle, and some vintage millinary flower centers that my friend Susan Elliot sent to me. (And don't miss her blog, if you love fabulous stitching, well-written upbeat posts, and exceptionally fine photography.)
Anyway, this fabric is key.
I'll be scouring the thrift stores for more scarves like this....
Here are some petals cut out and ready to have their edges melted. I show them on my cutting grid so you can get the scale...each square is 1".
I don't stick the fabric directly in the flame, but in the "heat aura" around the flame.
It truly is a simple matter of attaching the petals one by one at their base to the bottom of my little center here. That wire was very convenient for this process, but not neccesary I suppose.
I just kept adding them going around the base, knotting off after each petal but using the same thread.
I made the petals larger as I went "outward" from the center of the bloom.
Here is a finished rose.
I made seven of them and am going to group them something like this in the very center of my Spring CQ.
I am going to HAVE to find some more of those scarves!