Sunday, August 3, 2008

Spring CQ....The Dove Roses

My roses were inspired by those Dove roses Matt and I saw. They didn't come out exactly the same, but I was quite happy with my results.
They were EASY, too!
But the entire success depended on my having exactly the right fabric to make my petals out of....

This humble old scarf is a lightweight, satin weave polyester. It has shine, seals like a charm (no charring), and it even curls on the edges when it melts. Perfect for petals!
My other "ingredients" are some silk sewing thread, a longish and fine but sturdy needle, and some vintage millinary flower centers that my friend Susan Elliot sent to me. (And don't miss her blog, if you love fabulous stitching, well-written upbeat posts, and exceptionally fine photography.)
Anyway, this fabric is key.
I'll be scouring the thrift stores for more scarves like this....

Here are some petals cut out and ready to have their edges melted. I show them on my cutting grid so you can get the scale...each square is 1".

I don't stick the fabric directly in the flame, but in the "heat aura" around the flame.

It truly is a simple matter of attaching the petals one by one at their base to the bottom of my little center here. That wire was very convenient for this process, but not neccesary I suppose.

I just kept adding them going around the base, knotting off after each petal but using the same thread.

I made the petals larger as I went "outward" from the center of the bloom.

Here is a finished rose.
I made seven of them and am going to group them something like this in the very center of my Spring CQ.

I am going to HAVE to find some more of those scarves!

27 comments :

Cathi said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!! I'm about to go have a good look through the scarf drawer and see if I have anything like that!! This post is inspiration in itself.

Lisa Boni said...

These are SO gorgeous! Can't wait to see the effect on the entire quilt!

Judy S. said...

Your Dove roses turned out wonderfully, Allie. And now you've got everyone cleaning out their scarf collections!

Cat said...

Allie! These really do look like the Dove Roses! You are SOOOO talented!!!

Vicki W said...

Amazing!!

Unknown said...

That is so incredible how real they look. You are so talented! I came here from Honey Bee's Bliss shared items. I'm so glad I did!

Debra Dixon said...

Just scrumptious and now I am wondering if you cut off the dianthus flowers too soon.

Cathy said...

Brilliant and beautiful! Gotta go check out my scarves..... LOL. Hugs, Cathy

Barbara C said...

It's amazing that you captured the shape of the flowers so perfectly. They're really beautiful.

indiaartist said...

Wow, the end result is great! Most woderful looking silky flowers but it is not for those with no patience or small span of attention. I admire your singlemindedness.

Marty52 said...

Oh, Allie... wowzers... just, wowzers!

Deb Hardman said...

These look so real I can almost smell them!

I'll be stopping by my brother's at White Lake Sept.1st. I wish you were going to be at the cottage!

Dianne said...

Beautiful work! They look so realistic.

Threadspider said...

They are so lovely they seem to be perfumed. Brilliant work Allie.

Anonymous said...

Those are beautimous, Allie! Thanks for showing how it's done.

Susan Elliott said...

I want to make THESE soon!! What a beautiful bouquet -- they turned out quite lovely...we'll all be fighting over those scarves. What dye did you use. The tsukineki inks?? (did I even say that right?) I still have to get me some of those. Glad the velvet buds made it into the center of those beautiful roses...my spirit likes living there a lot!!

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Allie, Thank you sooo much for this tutorial. Your Roses are just truly grand and beautiful. I wish I had your creativity bones. LOL Hugs Judy

Kay said...

Absolutely beautiful! I knew you could do it.

Carou said...

Merci beaucoup Allie
J'adore ton blog
Bisous
Carou

Anonymous said...

The roses are lovely - well done you!

Rengin Yazitas said...

You're an amazing Lady, dear Allie.
You're such talented artist, I loved your Dove Roses. It seems that, pink color scarf shortage is soon!!:)) LOL...

Robin said...

Love your flower series. You have taken the encrusted CQ to a new level. Wonderful!

Denise Felton said...

Allie, you've done it again. These roses are just delicious. Of COURSE I have to share them with my readers. I've scheduled a link to this post to go live on my blog mid-morning (Central USA time) on August 7. Thank you for providing such wonderful resources for needleworkers.

Denise
http://needlework.craftgossip.com

Mona said...

Magnificent tutorial, I am going to start snapping up polyester weve at the salvation army this week. I saw a few brooches made with singed fabric but I never knew how it was done, thanks I will be forever grateful for this tutorial.

Anonymous said...

So gorgeous? thank for this tutorial. Your rose are fabulous...

Jane said...

"Oh la la", is all I can say!
Drooling from afar...

Stitch said...

Ohhh, Allison! Your flowers are just stunning! The end result is awesome. Do they wash well? They remind me of peonys; my favorite flower. My neighbor's mother just gave me tons of fabric like that, so I can't wait to go wild and try this out! :) Thanks so much for sharing!