Wednesday, August 27, 2008

New Back for the H Quilt

Last night I dreamed that Barack Obama and John McCain were in my sewing room each clutching spatulas and trying to flip the motifs on one of my crazy quilts. They just couldn't figure out how to do it....

I think I have been watching too much political coverage.

But I've had two days of solid hand sewing "busy work", preparing my H quilt for its trip to Houston. You see, the old backing I had put on it just did not cut it. The silk had gone ripply due to my using the wrong kind of interfacing on it (or something). Plus, the label looked a little crooked. We just can't have that...not for Houston!

So I took off the old back, put on a new one of some VERY nice black wool (it was Donna Karan, many bucks per yard, purchased 6 years ago when I thought I was going to sew an overall jumper out of it. You know, to wear with a crisp white silk shirt? Summerset, if you are reading this, don't laugh. Me and clothes...it is a sad story.)
Anyway, the wool looks great, very classy and I love the feel and weight of it.

Then of course I sewed the sleeve on to the side instead of the top and had to take that off and redo it.

Then I cut out my label from the old back and sewed it on--straight this time--to my new back. I squared it off and dressed it up a little, too.

Here is the new label. I got those punched brass corners at Lacis last winter.
There were three reasons I used that red lace as a border:
--I wouldn't have to turn under the edges of that brown silk damask. That would have been bulky and very hard to get straight. The lace covered the raw edges nicely.
--the little holes in the edges of the lace gave me a good stitching guide so that my stitches would be even
--Uncle Hal would appreciate the somewhat bordello aspect of the lace. He LOVED women.

I think that wool makes this more formal, as it should be. It is a memorial quilt, after all.

But H himself wasn't formal. This picture of him, taken the last time I went to visit him in Tucson, gives you an idea of his personality. He came up with this pose for me.

There he is enjoying his morning cigar and cup of coffee. His T shirt says "Freedom Is Not Free".

I guess H had politics figured out!!!

14 comments :

Kay said...

It looks great! I had to laugh about the Donna Karan wool--I've got some Ralph Lauren silk, equally unused.

I've been finding that the Democrats make great sewing companionship; you don't need to see them, just listen.

Judy S. said...

Beautiful work, Allie! If the front looks half as nice as the back/label, you've got yourself a stunning entry. Do you get to go to Houston? I have another blog friend from WA whose quilt was also selected....good show for our state, eh? Congrats!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

It was the "crisp white silk shirt" that sent me off in guffaws for another cup of coffee. In my world, a clean t-shirt with no paint spatters is "dressing up."

Vicki W said...

It's good to find a better use for clothing fabrics! The new back is very elegant. I wish I was going to Houston so I could see it in all it's glory!

Summerset said...

Very nice and very wise to fix it up for Houston! I didn't know you were in the show, too. Good luck to you - you certainly have put much time and love into your work.

Marty52 said...

The new back is perfect... and the red lace really sets the whole thing off. I'm sure Uncle H would heartily approve... Good luck!

Debra Dixon said...

Very stately! I have been looking through my boxes of clothes fabric lately too with the thought of repurposing it for some artsy looking quilts. In the end, it's all just fabric!

Maureen said...

That's one strange dream Allie but a lovely H quilt.

Jane said...

Awwwh, What a pricless picture and pose of Unc with the cowboy boots! I can only imagine what it feels like to send a quilt off for competition, crossing the t's, dotting the i's before shipping it... thanks for sharing the experience, Allie

Barbara C said...

It's very like you to extend your precise work to the back of the quilt. The quilt merits this beautiful label and vice-versa.

The contrast between the formal label and the photo of H in Tucson is a hoot. It's good to see the humor in him and in the tribute you made. The little personal jokes like the red lace make this piece especially meaningful.

Anonymous said...

I can imagine you dream about Obama and McCain, they're all over the news; even here in Holland! Pity though you won't have a female president this time, I sure hope next time a women succeeds! Quite some work you have to get your work to Houston, but it will be worth it!

Carla said...

What a great pose he did with the big boots. I have 2 of those Freedom t-shirts. Love 'em. Strange dream LOL

verobirdie said...

Great back! I like the red lace too, and the reasons why you use it. Your Uncle seems to have been a great man!

Pat said...

Allie, Well, I think I would have liked Uncle Hal! And, this memorial piece is quite wonderful. Don't know yet if I'm making it to Houston this time, but if I do, you can bet I'll be looking for your Uncle's quilt! It's great! Pat