Monday, August 18, 2008

"Friends"

I've returned to the Pacific Northwest and have a functioning laptop again too! God bless my clever husband who spent much of today fixing it....

I did quite a bit of stitching while at the cottage...but first I have to show you the magnificent gift my cousin Carol gave me.
There is so much I could write about how my dad's side of the family had real troubles when I was a child, culminating in me not being able to communicate with my cousins after my parents' divorce. To make a long story short, we cousins, as adults, have reconnected in spite of our crazy older generation! Getting to know Carol has truly been one of the great gifts of my life.

Our great grandmother had made a quilt--a crazy quilt--that her daughter, our grandmother, handed down to Carol many decades ago. I had asked Carol to bring it so I could photograph it again (I had seen it on a previous trip). This year she said, "I hope you have room in your suitcase, because I am sending it home with you."
I was just overcome....
There was something so symbolically healing about this for me, and maybe for her too...that quilt from my long lost heritage coming into my care at this time in my life shows that our family truly has knit back together...due in great part to my cousin's beautiful spirit.

It's so fitting that we two are kept warm together by this quilt. Surely our great grandmother was smiling down at us.
On my way back to the airport in Grand Rapids I stopped off at the cemetery and visited her grave.

All is well with the family, Margaret.....

So my little project for the week was very fitting...

This was my corner of the porch. I covered the area with bits of threads, as usual, while working on this....

I pieced it right before I left for Michigan. It measures 16" X 26".
I seem to still have 3 D flowers on the brain, after so long with the Spring CQ, so there is a circle of them underway forming a wreath around the lettering, as you can see.
When family and friends are one and the same, we are so lucky. It will be another year before we see each other, but Carol and I will be in close touch until then.

But Michillinda, I will miss you so!!!!

18 comments :

Marty52 said...

Crap, Allie... you made me cry! LOL! **sniff**

What an absolutely wonderful thing to do. Now we need close-ups!! :0)

Carin said...

What a fab quilt! How wonderful you and your cousin worked things out and that she felt she could give it to you and it would be loved.

Judy S. said...

What a wonderful end to your time in Michigan, Allie. Now every time you get lonely for Michilinda you can get out the quilt with its memories. That's a lovely piece you stitched....I guess you and your great-grandma had a lot in common! Welcome home!

Maya Sara Matthew said...

That story is a CQ quilt of memories and the friends piece is so pretty love the embellishments of flowers.

Vicki W said...

What a wonderful story! glad you had such a great family vacation.

Susan Elliott said...

Lucky you. Will your "Friends" quilt hang in the cabin?

Kay said...

That's a lovely story, with beautiful pictures too. That crazy quilt stuff is in the genes, isn't it?

JoWynn Johns said...

So glad to have you back, and to know that your laptop is okay.

Debra Dixon said...

Sniff, sniff.

Anonymous said...

Your touching story made me weep. Thanks for sharing your narrative of healing and the lovely CQ's. ~Jan Myhre

DebbyMc said...

My cousins are my very best friends...and we live 3000 miles apart...They are among the main reasons I have a house in NY and travel there to stay as often as I can. I truly understand what you feel...and that place! Wow! What a wonderful place to be with your "friends and family!"

Summerset said...

How wonderful - such a beautiful quilt with such a touching story! You are so fortunate to know your cousins. I wouldn't recognize any of my cousins on my mother's side if they were to pass me on the street. There are a lot of cousins, too, since she had 7 siblings! On my father's side, I'd only recognize one because I've actually seen her within the last 5 years.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

What a wonderful word picture you have painted for us. It's so good to know that family rifts can be healed and what a generous gift you have been given.

Deb Hardman said...

Oh how wonderful! She knows you understand that quilt better than anyone else in your family. What a beautiful gift.

I'll be heading to Michigan soon. I'm looking foward to a little warm summer by the lake.

Barbara C said...

What a great post Allie. That photo with your cousin is priceless. How wonderful that she shared that quilt with you--it's truly an act of love.

Rissa said...

How wonderful that you have this legacy now!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post, Allie; how special and dear. Quilts truly are the threads that bind us together, be it family or friendship. May this one bring you even closer to your roots.

Cathie said...

What a touching post. I so agree that when family and friends are "one in the same" -- we are so lucky. My mom was my mother, my sister, my very, very best friend.

Beautiful thoughts and beautiful work Allie.