Monday, August 25, 2008

Crazy Quilts Win Awards!

Two winners!
The American Quilters Society had their Nashville Expo show last week-end. I clicked on over to their website to view the winning quilts...and was so happy to see that a beautiful crazy quilt had taken Second Place in the new "Needlework" category--that's for anything involving the needle arts, as I understand it, that is not quilted, and is the only category in all three of AQS's shows that CQs qualify for. (My friends know this is a pet peeve of mine.)

Click on the winner's list link and scroll down to the Needlework category, second from the bottom. There you will see the link to "My Own Victorian Image" by Ellen Purdy of Purdys, New York. Click on it and enjoy...
Way to go, Ellen!

The second winner is Betty Pillsbury of Green Spiral Herbs. She has won Honorable Mention in the latest Hoffman Challenge for her quilt "Birds of A Feather". Click here and Betty's quilt will cycle through the Mixed Technique category.
A most deserving win, Betty..... ;-)

7 comments :

Judy S. said...

Hi Allie,

Wow, what kind of needle do you use on such tiny beads?

At the APNQ show in Seattle while you were gone, it seemed like there was a lot more handwork than I'd ever seen before. I'm glad, too, CQ is becoming recognized since it's been around for a very long time!

Marty52 said...

WooHoo!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, Allie. I'm going right over to take a look. Threads are up. I did remember to tell you!

I love the pincushion you are doing. Did you see the one at Ivory Blush Roses?

Anonymous said...

Oh, Marilyn Badger won another quilting award, too! Her quilts are stunning in person. I had a day long class with her with Bonnie Hunter and another quilter. Wow, did we learn a lot!

Carin said...

Thanks for the link that doesn't seem right thats the only place that CQ can be entered.

Anonymous said...

For some reason I can't get thru to the link after you get to the site. But I will try the other one. Strange that quilts that have been in this catagory for so many years (100's) shouldn't be able to be in more area's!

Anonymous said...

These were great links. My favorite is the Queen of Hearts quilt in the Hoffman Challenge. I am always amazed at what people come up with in these challenges. It makes me feel that I am not creative though.