Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Burner Bag

From the Graffiti Glossary:

BURNER
Originally a well-done wildstyle window-down whole car, a burner is a very good piece. Obviously, the reference to a window-down car is not applicable for pieces that are not on trains. A burner is any piece that has good bright colors, good style (often in wildstyle) and seems to "burn" off of the wall.
Well, my brother Ben collects "Burner" imagery, and I've always thought it was so darn cool. And isn't any imagery fair game for a crazy quilt?

I love flowers, and I will be going back to the flowers. But for a change of pace I thought I would try something different....

I love the colors in these, not to mention the sheer brilliance of the artistry. I thought they would make a unique focus for a totebag. I mean, why not?

So I decided on a basic shape....

And started constructing my tote front. I combined both piecing and applique, using a machine zig zag with a clear thread, as above. This is some kind of manic jester with the spray can, isn't he?

The suggestion of a fan shape here is my wave to my great grandmother's generation of crazy quilters. They would think I am totally nuts. Maybe you do, too!

I love having the option of being able to piece or applique, depending on what situation I find myself in. If I had drawn out a pattern before hand, it wouldn't be nearly as exciting...

Really, the sewing was a piece of cake.

This will be such fun to embellish, juxtaposing this wacko imagery with the stitching parameters we all know and love. I just thought CQ could use a little urban aesthetic...

18 comments :

Vicki W said...

I have never heard the term "burner imagery". It's very interesting stuff and will be a great tote bag. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Christine said...

Wow!! The graffiti in Oz is not nearly so inspiring I think. Mostly just annoying tags, even on trees and fences. This bag will be unique, and will show this type of art in a different light. Can't wait to see it, might start a whole new rage.

Hooroo,
Christine.
http://missmuffettwo.blogspot.com/

Judy S. said...

Allie, I love the way you push the envelope! No one could ever accuse you of being in a rut! Your bag is going to be very cool and a fun adventure to watch.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Well - I'm speechless. LOL Versatility is good, and I've always been told to diversify - this will be interesting. A truly great creation, I'm sure - and Ben will love it.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Wild, wacky and absolutely undeniably wonderful!!! Love, love, love where you're going with this. Oddly enough, I just did an atc using a graffiti background. Is graffiti becoming the 'in' thing do you suppose?

Kate said...

Oh my gosh! I bet some of my husband's character art would make a great crazy quilt, especially my alter ego. I don't know why I never thought of it. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Barbara C said...

This is brilliant! It's so fresh and exciting, I can't wait to see more.

Lindsay Jean said...

I love the concept here - you've selected some really neat graffiti. I'm excited to see this work as it progresses. (I'm sure it will be as beautiful as all your other work!)

Amy Munson said...

Fun fun fun, I love it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is so freakin cool! I never heard of Burner Imagery either, and this is pretty out there for CQ. It's edgy. I like it.

Kay said...

I also don't know that term, although the images are familiar. You sure don't stay in a rut!

Lauren said...

ooh, this one is going to be fun to watch as you progress! i'm excited to see what you'll come up with. following along as you stitch is always an adventure.

Threadspider said...

That's awesome. And a bit of a departure!

Jane said...

Is this Allies blog or is my feed not working right ? LOL This is way cool and way out there!

Anonymous said...

what are you planning to make on the embellisher for this - 3d paint cans? its a bit of a departure - what a fun idea

AmyS said...

Wow! What a cool idea. I can't wait to see what you'll do in the next step. Love the way you combined the graffiti images with solid black. I love it when the ideas just take off.

Debra Dixon said...

Way Cool!

Mary-Frances said...

I love these! I'm a huge fan of grafitti (which these look like) and I'm dying to see what you come up with! Thanks for the inspiration!