Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Go Crazy...The Buttons

Bobbi, Freda, and Esther all gave thoughtful comments on my last post about the buttons and whether they were going to work well with this quilt.
They got me thinking...as did my sister on the phone yesterday who said, "Hey, I like that new quilt on your blog that looks like a chain link fence!"

Isn't it funny how two hours lying awake in the earliest morning can go by so fast, thinking about design?

So I came into my sewing room this a.m. to take stock of things.
Here is how far I had come...

All I could see was the dang "fence"!
So I just had to try something else for the heck of it...

I used the blocks I've made as a border and I could have a crazy pieced center.
But no...didn't like that...
I had had a vision for this quilt, so maybe it would be good to see how it would actually look...so I laid out some blocks on the floor with some buttons.

Hmmm...yes, this was not at all bad. But it was missing something.
I got out my Go! cutter and made some circles.

These are insanely easy to make.

One flick of my wrist on the crank and here are two perfect velveteen circles. On my next try I cut three at once.
Some enterprising art quilter or stitcher could make great use of the "circle waste" too, like some people use sequin waste.
Anyway, I placed the circles into position and got this:

This I like.

I have said that I'm interested in that borderline between sane and crazy quilting, and working on this has given me a glimpse into this new territory.
I find that there is not the ongoing decision making as in crazy quilting, which all of us CQers love....once the decisions are made here, there is much repetition in the work ahead.
Plus, this will be an overall geometric (or abstract) pattern...there is no narrative content to this quilt at all, and I kind of miss that.

But this work is very calming and it will be gratifying to see the vision unfold, albeit VERY slowly. And this will be a very nice quilt to use when it is done.
But I think I am going to have to get another little project going on the side that is more freewheeling!

16 comments :

Barbara C said...

The white buttons really break up the continuous black diagonals, and the circles add a lot. That said, I never made the chain link association.

I'm interested in your comment that sane quilts haven't the narrative quality of crazy quilts. I'd never thought of it that way, though I think exceptional sane quilts do have some of that narrative element, though often on a more subtle level.

Your comment really got me thinking.

Anonymous said...

I like this very much hope this is what you settle on it indeed has a calming effect.

Jean said...

That your sister should comment about it looking like a chain link is interesting... almost like they are holding back the inpact of the colors/patterns. I must say though, I guess I'm more of a passive sort... I like it better without the buttons... (sorry, to me they are distracting) but then again, this is your quilt and it will be what you want it to be. Isn't that the point of why we do what we do? The colors are warm and cozy that's for sure. Before I read the post I had glanced at the pic's and was thinking that the original quilt was yours too. After reading I now have perspective... I was a bit confused that the first picture had white threads and you showed all the pretty blues... it takes me a while... sometimes! Enjoy your project!

Maureen said...

I actually think it looks wonderful without the buttons. I know you didn't ask, but just sayin'! The only thing I didn't like on the original where the white knots.

Sue Reno said...

I so enjoy following along works-in-progress, and appreciate that you are sharing the thought process behind the evolution of the design.

Judy S. said...

Interesting how things evolve, isn't it? Definitely a work in progress.....

Vicki W said...

Loooooooove it!

Tina said...

I like the chain link fence idea-I can see the stuff that people push in to fences that remember people, places and things!

I do like the approach you decided to take. Sometimes we have to follow the minds eyes and finish that idea

Kay said...

I like the buttons, especially since they're in the corners of the blocks too.

Like Barbara, I'm interested in your comment about the difference between sane and crazy quilting. Sane quilting has lots of repetition certainly, which is why I don't like to make quilts where all blocks are the same. The narrative element I'm not so sure about--not clear what you mean exactly. Good quilts have a tension between order and chaos, or repetition and variety. Is that it?

Marty52 said...

I like the solution you've hit on, Allie. It brings the "background" forward into the "fence" and makes them one. Verra nice!

I think the best crazy quilts have a wonderful narrative to them. They tell a story, express a thought or bring history to life. That's what I like so very much about them!

Debra Dixon said...

Sane quilts have huge narrative qualities! Sit down with a quilter who has collected fabrics for a long time or uses what is available from her life for fabric. She can tell you life stories with those quilts.

Dea said...

I love your solution for breaking up the “fence”, how clever!

Sounds familiar, your longing for freewheeling. I am no crazy quilter myself (yet) but am working toward becoming a contemporary quilter. I like sane quilting as a kind of meditation because of its repetition. However, I do like to switch between traditional projects (as I usually call them) and the more creative and freewheeling of projects. That way, you get the best of both worlds!

(I’ve been reading and enjoying your blog for years now and decided it was time I’d finally post a reaction.)

Kind regards,
Dea

Rengin Yazitas said...

Allie,
I loved your new project, a gorgeous combination.
Happy New Year

Nellie's Needles said...

Looks like you're having FUN with a FUN quilt!
;-)

NickiLee said...

Always the inventive mind - I like the addition of the circles under the buttons as it gives it another dimension.

I'm so looking forward to seeing what eye candie you might be bringing to share with us at the CQ Retreat in CT.

FredaB said...

Only a sister would make the comment "looks like a chain link fence". I really laughed at that. I bet you did too. I did not get that impression looking at it but I bet now it will always be known as the "chain link fence" quilt. I think I still like the plain black with just the blue stitching around but what do I know. You are right there and it is your quilt after all.
The blue velvet was a good idea as it takes away from the buttons just sitting there.

Knowing you it will turn out perfect and we will all be swallowing our words.

Hugs

FredaB