Sunday, January 9, 2011

Go Crazy...Blocks Sewn

All 168 of them!
It's been a bit of a marathon around here. What bliss to just submerge myself in this process all day for three days in a row to get this phase done.

This was two days ago...I was going full tilt.
After finishing up last night I squared things away in the sewing room a bit.

There are 14 rows of 12 blocks each. I'm sure I will fiddle with the block placement some, but that will come later.
First these blocks all need to have the blue embroidery go around the black grid shapes and that will take some time. This kind of work is great for traveling, which I have a bunch of ahead of me...this was actually part of the motivation for embarking on a project like this. Portable stitching with a small bag of supplies and not much designing required...perfect for the beach!

Those flowers you see on the table were sent by C & T, my publisher, the day the advance copy of my book arrived. I was so touched!
And the book.....what an amazing job they did with it! I am very, very grateful and pleased. Can't wait for you to see it... ;-)

16 comments :

Rian said...

That is grand Allie, really grand.

Lisa Boni said...

Impressive Allie!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm really liking the combination you've done on this quilt - very original and definitely eye-catching. As for the book, I can't wait - I have my copy on preorder (and have for months)!

Margaret said...

Happy New Year, Allie!

I've been following your latest project with some interest and fascination...but I must admit the buttons are a bit much for me, even with fabric circles behind them. I find them a distraction from the beautiful cross-hatching, your embroidery and the patterning of the blocks. Maybe it's just the stark contrast of white? Maybe a colour that picks up something from the blocks...or maybe tying with a coloured thread...

Just some thoughts. As with all your work, whatever you decide you like, it will be spectacular!

All the best for creativity, health and happiness in 2011!

Suzanne said...

Absolutely lovely, Allie-you do such lovely work.

Cathy said...

I can’t believe how you can just churn through the work and turn out one beautiful piece after another. Definitely it’s a gift. Woo-hoo, one month until your book is released!! You WILL autograph them in CT, won’t you?!? Hugs, Cathy

Deb Hardman said...

Wow Allie, another stunner!

& I am looking forward to getting my hands on your book!

Beedeebabee said...

This is sooo beautiful, Allie...just like EVERYTHING you do! Happy New Year! :D Paulette

Judy S. said...

NIce! The beach? You really know when to leave town! They are predicting "you know what" here in large amounts. I hope they're wrong! Happy Travelling!

Barbara C said...

Your quilt is really striking. It must feel good to have your portable project ready to go.

Anonymous said...

How nice of your publisher! Must make you feel very special. =) Love the new project.

Quiltgal said...

I am very much much enjoying seeing this quilt come together. I have my copy of your book on order.

Elizabeth said...

This is stunning!! Htank you for sharing your thought process with us reagrding the Fence question and the buttons and circles. What I could do with that velvet circle waste!!! Are you really gpoing to pitch it- see that is one of my big problems I can't pitch things like that!!! This si going to be stunning and I simpl;y cannot wait to get my hands on your book!!! WHNE ? WHEN?

Anonymous said...

The visit was useful. Content was really very informative. From www.hongkongfloristshop.com/ChineseNewYear_HongKong.asp

sudipa said...

Website is very comprehensive and informative. I have enjoyed the visit. From www.gifts2hongkong.com/newyear_HongKong.asp

Susan Elliott said...

I love the plaids and the black and I'm always amazed at how quickly you pop these babies out!!! You ARE the quintessential quilt mother. The day the book arrived must have been a really really good mail day! Can't wait to see it!!

Happy travels, and the blue stitching is going to be JUST the thing. Have fun! xo Susan