I got some stitching done on the wheel blocks in Cleveland last week and on the planes going to and fro across the country.
It was enough to give me a wee reality check on my plans for the size of this quilt.
I think I am going to downsize...;-)
I can capture the feel of the original quilt and also merrily discover my own interpretation of it, without having to make it so large.
I decided to use the same stitches and types of thread throughout this central section of the quilt, so as not to distract from the nice geometry with too much clutter.
A fly stitch between the triangles, and a blanket stitch around the four-pointed stars...that was it.
For the fly stitching I am using 2 ply silk floss from Vicki Clayton. The button hole is of Stef Francis silk perle from Maureen Greason's Vintage Acquisitions.
Here is how they look pinned to my design wall.
I am going to add one more row of four blocks along the bottom.
When these are sewn together, of course there will be the flystitching to do along the seams between the blocks as well.
The black stars are so eager to have their three-dimensional flowers embellished in their centers...
In the meantime, the garden grew so much while I was away.
And we had our first harvest dinner the night after I returned home! Snap peas, celery, onion, spinach, garlic, basil, oregano....all fresh from the garden, with a handful of strawberries for desert! Sooooo good.
This new hod was made in Maine and purchased from Territorial Seed.
It feels wonderful in my hands as I load it up...it's going to get so much use this summer!