Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Spring CQ...Sweet Woodruff

Galium odoratum, or Sweet Woodruff, is a ground cover that I first planted from two little 4" pots about 10 years ago...I love their tiny white flowers and the way they have spread all over the shady parts of my garden.

In this picture the flowers are just about done.

When I was at Accessories of Old back East, I purchased some teeny tiny flower sequins. I knew they would be just right for creating this flower.

Those are #15 seed beads in the centers of the sequins.

And here you can see they have spread all across the bottom of the quilt!

Now I must finish up this project by adding the backing, and facing the edges....but I have some trim that will look so good going around the perimeter of the quilt...not a binding, not a border, just a little outline...which of course must be beaded and embroidered. That will be another three days' work or so...

I am having trouble saying "good-bye" to this quilt, can you tell?..... ;-)

15 comments :

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This is such a happy, singing, dancing quilt, as I keep thinking every time I look at it. The butterflies are the best touch! That photograph also inspires me. Hmmmm. As always, looking forward to your next creation.

Raspberry said...

I LOVE those little white flowers - they are so darling.

Judy S. said...

This quilt is such a beauty, Allie! You've done a great job replicating sweet woodruff....seems like I read somewhere that the Native Americans dried it and used it fro tobacco; have you ever heard that? I can sure see why you enjoy working on this project!

Melissa ;-) said...

Oooo, very good!

AngelDoll said...

Love the look of these butterflies and hope to try making some one of these lazy days of summer. your work is awe-inspiring!
And I now see those tiny sequins are wonderful and will try them out soon I hope. I can't remember what color i purchased them in but am hoping they will work for my present WIP.

Janny de Roo said...

What a beauty...!

Threadspider said...

Sweet woodruff is a lovely plant. I think it was used as one of the ingredients strewn across floors in the days before carpets, rugs etc. The little sequins make great woodruff flowers.

Marty52 said...

Verra nice, Allie! I like the satin stitched flowers on the right there. Those are pretty darn nice, too. Your garden has certainly inspired you with this piece!

Conni said...

Those little sequins are perfect as sweet woodruff flowers! This quilt is amazing in every detail!

Vicki W said...

What a perfect addition!

Granny Fran said...

I have Sweet Woodruff in my garden, also, and love it. I am always so amazed at how well you capture the various flowers in fabric and beads. This piece is definitely a celebration of spring.

Susan Elliott said...

SWEET Woodruff, Indeed!!! I like how it has spread as well...all the way to Ellicott City!

Well, I'm hoping you don't end this quilt too soon either -- i'm enjoying the finishing touches as much as you are...It's nice to let it linger a bit with you before it has to get all grown up and have a binding and a backing, so it can be an upstanding citizen in the quilt world.

...sigh...

Jean said...

It must be hard to let go... kind of like one of the kids leaving! It's alright.... whereever it goes, part of your heart is going with it! That's what happens when you put love into something! It will always show!

Summerset said...

Aww, what sweet little flowers. Don't let go too soon - these things take time and nuture - savor the moments with this one, it is magnificent.

Lisa Boni said...

Love the Sweet Woodruff you added to this quilt! I'd be sad to see the "end" of this quilt too. Have loved following it over the past year! It has been so inspiring!