Monday, June 29, 2009

Vintage CQ...Flower #2

The leaves could have been a little smaller, as they cover just a bit too much of the black space.
But I have 28 more flowers to go, so I think I'll hang on to this one anyway!

Meanwhile, the gardens are flourishing. The two shots below clearly demonstrate the "his" and "hers" approach Robert and I each take to growing things.
It's no wonder we have separate gardens!

Mine is cottage-like, improvisational and spontaneous, planned but then the plans get overtaken by new growth and crazy ideas.

Robert's approach is precise. In the foreground, left to right, are the pepper, basil, eggplant, and melon beds, with the background having (also left to right) onions, carrots, the tomato plantation, and a wild patch of last year's Shirley Poppies and leeks, which I insisted he keep.

Yin and yang...it makes the world go round, doesn't it?

13 comments :

Marty52 said...

I love the way you've pulled the colors from the fabric into the flower in the center, Allie. I like it just as it is!

Unknown said...

I love how the block came out, sigh, now it makes me want to make some. Barb in WNC

Anonymous said...

I love the leaves just the way they are...the ones in your garden, too.

FredaB said...

Here you go again Allie. Every one you start I think oh it will not beat the last one and then voila.

I spend all my time loking and trying to decide what to do while you jump in and do and look what happens.

My vote goes to the flower gardener but I can appreciate Robert's plan.

Hugs

FredaB

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Whatever happened to the "American Gothic" picture when the two of you were young? LOL

Shogun said...

My method is more like yours - the improv approach.

I like flower #2, purple and green go so well together.

Unknown said...

The improv nature of the flower seems to match the character of the quilt very well. It's going to be cool to watch you develop all the different flowers.

What can you expect from a man who measures a garden??!

Maya Sara Matthew said...

The Vintage CQ is turning into a really treasure. Its inspired me to try something along the same line for my next project, after all the UFO and WIP's are taken care of.

Susan Elliott said...

And the same is true for your centers...if all your motifs were sweet and lovely for the center, then it would look too uniform -- beautiful, to be sure, but uniform -- whereas, sometimes it's the bolder few in the group that give the whole class it's personality...you are wise to reserve judgement...

And I'd like to be Robin's totem rabbit in Robert's garden...I'm just saying...Peter Rabbit and I would have a grand time there!

Susan Elliott said...

Oh, and then we could hide in your garden...perfect cover...

Jean said...

How in the world do you keep up with all your egg plants? I mean the veg's themselves? Do you freeze or can them at all? Or are they a smaller variety? Just noisy I guess... Looks lovely!

Barbara C said...

These black stars are the perfect little canvas. The two that you've finished are really lovely.

AngelDoll said...

Very 'flourishing' gardens and CQ project. Love your inspiring work!