Keeping in mind that this quilt is going to the Alliance for American Quilts' fund raising auction later this year, (which I believe will be on Ebay), I wanted to allude to traditional quilting motifs in this project. So I chose a symmetrical applique design for the corner triangles.
I used hand-dyed silk yarn, couched down, for the stems. The leaves are two colors of ultra-suede and also some felted wool/soy silk fabric that I ran off on the embellisher machine. If you click on the picture you can see that more closely. The embroidery thread is a variegated #12 cotton hand dyed by Laura Wasilowski at www.artfabrik.com.
To keep this from overwhelming the central image, I tried to keep the values consistent, as well as the design and materials. Hopefully, it is interesting but still secondary...
I am going to bead that blue lace just a bit. The binding will form the final boundary to finish off this quilt's design. Overall, I am quite happy with it, and am mulling doing another take with this concept, only using a much larger central image.
Meanwhile, here is the link to last year's auction quilts for the Alliance. The theme was "Put a Roof Over Our Head", and there are some really nice ones.