Thursday, February 7, 2008

Take It Futher, February....Block Pieced

Our Take it Further Challenge for February, as set up and posed to us by Sharon Boggin, is about memory...what are we old enough to remember?
Lots of stitchers have weighed in with lovely nostalgic reminiscences...mostly in a cultural and historical vein. Old favorite TV shows, world changing public events, and early impressions of nature, too...
But I got to thinking more of interior states that I remember, of who I used to be....

My piece this month is kind of sad, in a way. And no, it is not a reaction to that hussy the Reform School Girl! ;-) It is about remembering when I was innocent, and when that state was lost to me. Every so often old issues circle around for me to take another look at, and the gray days of February are a perfect time for that...
And just perhaps, innocence can be regained.....

"Innocence Remembered"...that is the emotion I am exploring this month....
Sharon's color palette left me blank, so I am forgoing it this time.

I plan on using Pamela Kellogg's brilliant new EBook, "Elegant Crazyquilt Seam Treatments" to guide my stitching on this block, as a way to get to know some of her patterns and her waste canvas embroidery technique.

But first I am going on a quick trip to Florida on the redeye...tonight! My DH and I celebrate anniversary #27 this week-end, plus I get to meet up with two dear crazy quilting friends in Orlando while he attends some seminars. But I'm bringing my laptop this time...9 days was too long without it last time....

9 comments :

Pamela Kellogg said...

Beautiful block Allie! And thank you! Have a wonderful time in Florida.

Cat said...

The block is gorgeous - the colors are very February!

Rian said...

Happy anniversary!

verobirdie said...

Happy anniversary, and enjoy yourself in Orlando!
Your block is going to be very nostalgic, but beautiful too.

Threadspider said...

Hope you get some sun to drive way those February blues.

Ira said...

Great block. I put the tutorial for the leaves using the baking paper on my blog.
http://oldcrazystitcher.blogspot.com/
I hope you can understand them. Ask me if you have any questions.
Try them. they are not complicated when you do them. It's work very fast for me. May be 5 min for each leaf.

Jo Raines said...

The block is beautiful, as is all of your work! Oh to be so talented. I am late getting around to the February block--it will have to be about my mother who died of cancer four years ago. And a small piece since my plate is full as usual of unfinished projects, upcoming classes at the shop, etc.

Susan said...

What a beautiful block, and it does have a flavor of innocence. Pam's book is on my list, too, with Pat's.

Hope your anniversary was great!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful block - fabulous idea.