Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"K is for Kreinik"....Finished!

...well almost finished. I need to hear from the Creative Director at Kreinik to learn if she wants this piece stretched over foam core or finished like a little quilt.

But the stitching is done! Have a look...

"K is for Kreinik"
15" X 15"

There was the usual last minute tweaking, adding different bits of fabric to the corners, etc. to try and get the composition more focused. Here are some final detail shots...

It was fun continuing that line of scalloped fans from the vertical left border over to the bottom horizontal one.

That first set of needlewoven leaves...I added the needlewoven fan under them to break up that soft green batik patch, which was too big. Embellishments can always be used to compensate for piecing errors...I do that constantly. But would it ever cause me to plan out my piecing better beforehand?
What do you think?
Not!!!

The lettering here came out a little light....I still have so much to learn about this whole waste canvas lettering concept. Still, it's o.k.
This whole piece of course has nothing but Kreinik threads on it. It was really a pleasure to "get to know" them, and all the different stitching properties those threads have.

Now....I get to play with my new toy!!! I traded in my prize sewing machine from the $100,000 Quilting Challenge for a Baby Lock Embellisher Emb7. Yes, Freda's machine got under my skin and I just had to have one. But no family cash flow was involved! Stay tuned for some experimenting... ;-)

11 comments :

Candi said...

WOW! What more can I say? It's simpley gorgeous!
HUGZ:)
Candi

Possibilities, Etc. said...

It is a beauty, for sure. Those little fans are a kind of signature for you - I have watched them for nearly a year now, and one of these days will try them myself (in needlepoint, of course). It won't be easy, and I'm not sure I can get the effect. Those leaves are really really fine.

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Pretty! I told you Kreinik has nice threads!!! I am glad you have tried them. I noticed you and Dena had your photo taken under my Fan piece I made for Kreinik. Cool! I put it in my album.

Kay said...

I particularly like the little spray of leaves.

Barbara C said...

Lovely! The needlewoven leaves are my favorites.

Granny Fran said...

I especially like those autumn colored woven leaves outlined in green. Many years ago in a far land I ignorantly did my first needlepoint project on waste canvas and have never been able to block and finish it. I guess I need to try it again, on a quilt, so when the canvas is gone the stitching will still have something to hang onto.

Karrin Hurd said...

It is just beautiful, and I love the woven leaves. I wait to hear how you like the embellisher.

Pamela Kellogg said...

How incredibly beautiful! Aren't the Kreinik threads fun to stitch with? I have always loved stitching and designing with their threads, esp. the metallics. You know me, the Queen of Glitter!

Amy Munson said...

I have been toying with the idea of getting a embellishing machine. Cant wait to see what you create with it.

Marty52 said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty... especially the needle woven leaves... I'm going to have to try those out. As always the colors are fabu!

And you have a new toy, too... can't wait to see what you do... it should be fantabulous!

Julie said...

Can't wait to see what you do with the embellisher - I started playing with it and then got side tracked. It really is fun!
Love the Kreinik piece and I know Dena will be thrilled.