Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Silk Ribbon Leaves Tutorial

Well thank you all for your lovely response to my ribbon leaves yesterday! As I was planning to do the other seam with them today, I thought I would show you how they are done.

I don't know why I thought to do the standard Japanese Ribbon Stitch upside down, but I did. Also, instead of piercing the ribbon in the middle, I pierced it on the edge of the ribbon. Check out the photos below to see the whole seam in progress....

I started with a stem stitch out of 4 mm ribbon, being very careful not to pull it too tightly.

This is sure easier to do at home than on an airplane.
I began at the outside of the leaf using 4 mm ribbon, slightly overlapping my stitches towards the center. Keeping the stitches just loose enough, and making sure that curl at the bottom went in the right direction was critical.

Next came the switch to 7mm silk ribbon to complete the leaf.

Again, you have to keep a light touch here when pulling on the ribbon. Also, you have to be careful not to snag any of the completed ribbon leaves around the stitching area...because one false tug and all is lost...the yanked on stitches must be removed and then redone.

Here is the block with the second stem of leaves on it. You'll notice it has rotated 90 degrees to the left from yesterday! I added those teeny flowers at the tip of the first one (and will add them to the second one, too), because this block will have butterflies on it next, and we all know butterflies sip on flowers, not leaves.

One of the reason these leaves look so nice is that they are made with hand-dyed silk ribbon. My friends Barbara Blankenship dyed the ribbon on the left, and Pat Winter the darker green on the right.

Speaking of Pat, I just ordered her book this morning, and am so excited to receive it!

Congratulations, dear Pat, on this accomplishment!

19 comments :

Amy Munson said...

Loved the leaves when I saw them in your previous post. Once I get back to my beaded crazy quilt I will have to try them. Thanks for the tutroial.

Kay said...

That is a beautiful, beautiful stitch. I'll never do it, I'm sure, but I enjoyed seeing how you did it. If you did the second loops in pink, wouldn't it look sort of like a sweet pea?

Karen 's World said...

Allie I really love this stitch. Any chance you can show us a picture of the back. I think I understand how you did it but would like to see if I got the back correct.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I have done flowers with Japanese ribbon stitch - but never overlapping and going into the edge instead of the center. WOW! This is too pretty to believe. I need to see more of Pat's book too!! Looks good.

Barbara C said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial. That ribbon is totally delicious.

Nettie said...

Those leaves are gorgeous. Fabulous ribbon. Do they just make it for personal use or do they sell it? --signed Ribbon Addict

Karrin Hurd said...

I loved the leaves the other day and wondered how you had done them. Thanks so much for explaining how you made them!

Jane said...

Hi Allie, So glad you've had such wonderful travels in the last couple weeks... These leaf fronds look as if you picked them from your garden and laid them there, so natural to form.I too, appreciate you sharing how you do these things, thanks!

Simona said...

thank you for the tutorial! The block is beautiful and looks like an oriental garden at my eyes!

Marty52 said...

Simply scrumptions, dear Allie! Thanks so much for the tutorial... maybe I can use them on my CQ quilt, too... if I every get to that stage!

Pamela Kellogg said...

Thanks Allie! That is so beautiful! I'm going to give it a try on my "A" block that I'm going to make for my mom for her birthday.

Threadspider said...

The leaves are lovely and that ribbon seems to be perfect for them. This is such a feminine block

Anonymous said...

Ohmygosh, your work is stunning. I've always loved crazy quilts and the beautiful stitches that adorn them. I'm glad to see that you have not let that art go by the wayside and have expanded on it's creativity. Thanks much for sharing your techniques.

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

I think that leaf treatment would make great Lily of the Valley!!! Mmmmmm..I'll have to try that.
Thanks for sharing my book,I'll put your name in the hat. :-)

Robin said...

Wonderful -- thanks so much for the tutorial. I was looking at the finished product - loving the leaves and wondering... then there it was. You do quite lovely work. Thanks for the inspiration!

MeganH said...

Hey
I'm not a ribbon person - I'm a historical embroiderer - but sent here by Mary's post on this entry ... I find myself wondering - I wonder if I could use these in a piece somehow? It looks so gorgeous!

Unknown said...

liked the design very much u made .. can u send the tutorial of it

Graça Gomes said...

Oi sou ums apaixonada por este bordado,´´e dificil não saber o inglês, o seu bordado é lindo e vou ti adicionar ao meu link. bjks


http://artesanatograca.blogspot.com/

pharmacy said...

great site, keep it up the good work.