I know I have a commission project to do for DMC, and in my head it is very far along! But I realized that I have plenty of time to make my deadline.....and I had to get something out of my system...so since I got home, I've made this quilt for Stash.
I went to the Quilt Festival mainly to work in the booth of the Quilt Alliance, the non-profit I am privileged to serve as a board member. Here I am in our booth with our executive director, Amy Milne.
here! They will raise funds to support our mission of documenting, preserving, and sharing the stories of quiltmakers and their quilts.
But as you know, Halloween was during Festival. Amy and I decided to dress up.
Spoonflower, and made that fetching spool-of-thread hat. She is holding Michele Muska's auction quilt.
I became "Stash".
After I came home I took apart my costume on my sewing table.....
I went to my "stash" of vintage 30's scraps to go with those blocks, some 30's repro fabrics, some contemporary Ebay blocks made with vintage fabrics, vintage linens, more of my lace stash...and set to work making a quilt for Label One from Stash herself. Me!!!!
I just started pinning things up there and sewed together units as I went along.
It came together very quickly.
Because I was eyeballing everything sizewise, when it came time to sew all the units together, sometimes I had to trim, or add a strip...
brand new couching foot from HandiQuilter for my Sweet 16 and was most eager to try it out.
But first, as I learned in my Craftsy class, Design It, Quilt It, taught by the great Cincy Needham, first I had to quilt "ESS"--every stinkin' seam.
It is a very good practice. I used clear thread with Bottom Line by Superior Threads in the bobbin.
Finding the right kind of couching fiber took a little experimentation.
(Even though this is going to be a functional, "sane" quilt, after 14 years of crazy quilting, I MUST embellish, somehow or other.)
The last step was to bind the quilt, and as you all know, I loathe making traditional quilt binding. For Stash's Quilt, I came up with an interesting alternative.
Sewing it was easy, using a wide zig zag and the clear thread which virtually disappeared.
I think it came out great, and totally fits the style of the quilt.
And here it is!
Stash's Quilt, 70" X 80"
Ahhhh......that felt great!
It will make a great souvenir of our wonderful time in Houston together.
Now, on to my DMC project, for real!