My friend Maureen Greason has brilliantly drawn up a chart for the Vintage CQ, full size (but showing a quarter of the quilt). Now I can truly start thinking about the wheel blocks in context.
Some of you may remember I had a go at making the blocks that surround the center section this past summer. You can see them here. And while the blocks are kind of fun, they are too boisterous for this quilt. So though I am back to the drawing board, Maureen's chart is going to make it much easier to visualize my next attempt.
I pinned a few of the flower blocks in place so you can see them in context.
The quilt will finish out at 52'' X 67''.
Didn't Maureen do a spectacular job?
She makes charts for her crazy quilts, too. You can see her current project's chart here.
We are both participating in the 2012 Challenge on one of the crazy quilt lists...to make a large crazy quilt by then for an exhibition...and I believe this one of mine is going to take that long!
A technically savvy sane quilter would make decently short work of that border, using strip piecing or templates. I have a feeling I'll be machine appliqueing it onto a whole cloth foundation. More control for me that way; I am just not an accurate piecer...construction of all the quilt's components will be tricky in the end, too.
I only got a start on Floral #21 this week...
Thelma Bradshaw's concept was to use threadpainting to fill in some tatted flowers she had made. I didn't have anything quite like that, so am using some lace flowers as my base.
My threadpainting is strictly of beginner caliber...but it is fun to try!
So thanks again, Maureen, for the fantastic help with this quilt.
She has a wonderful web business for embellishers and quilters called Maureen's Vintage Acquisitions. Her taste is exquisite and I love absolutely everything she carries. Pay her a visit!