Sometimes it takes living with a work-in-progress for a long while before necessary additions become apparent.
As I was preparing my "lucky glass"--or "sea glass", as some call it--to be sewn onto the quilt, it just hit me that there wasn't quite the balance on each side of the arc of the trees that I wanted. I needed to add a little more of the pine tree element on each side.
So after I got my lucky glass sewn on, that's what I did. For five hours.
But first, here's the process with the lucky glass. I handle the bits of worn glass the same way I do rocks...glue a buttonback onto each piece and then sew it on.
That pathetic wrinkled tube is E6000 glue. I am really due for a new one. But I managed to squeeze some out, apply it to each buttonback with a toothpick, and then push the backs onto the lucky glass pieces.
It took about 3 hours to set up.
In order to sew them on, I needed to make a hole for each one through the quilt to accomodate the protruding shank of the buttonback.
I got out my scalpel of a seamripper and just made my cuts.
Surgeons must be bold and decisive! Confident!
This was still scary though...no going back.
The shank is poked through to the back here. I use Silamead beading thread for this because it is extra strong.
Now for an overall view...
I've couched on the initial "wave lines" along the bottom section. These will guide the sewing on of a zillion little beads (read, bubbles). Also more stitching will follow these lines.
I've also decided what I'm going to write in the sand below the line of lucky glass, too.....
I have much work left on this project but can now at last get a glimpse of the finish line....and this is my favorite part of the race, too, that sprint to the finish.
Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions, especially with regards to those shingles on the roof! I'm going to wait to decide on that until the rest of the quilt is done....meanwhile, all those bubbles are the next order of business.