Friday, January 23, 2009

Alliance CQ...Background Stitched

Good morning!
This is the view from where I am typing...I know, rough, isn't it?

I'm so glad you all enjoyed Leigh's gorgeous embroidery. I must say, it makes me look at my own with new eyes....as in, let's "pump up the volume" a little bit!

But first, I had to get all the stitching on the black background for my Alliance quilt done so that the patches would be defined. I also wanted to go for that classic crazy quilt "look".

I forced myself to keep to one colorway...blue/purple. I thought this would set off the flowers a little better than if I went multi-colored in the black section.

And as for those flowers.....
This IS an experiment, embroidering over Broderie Perse. I've put in one day so far (it was rainy yesterday), and this is where I am so far.

...and here is a detail....

For me, this is the "iffy" stage. This section is nowhere near fully developed so all I see when I look at it is how much work needs to be done to get it to look right.
Faith in the process is a good thing at this juncture!
We'll see what happens....

15 comments :

Marty52 said...

You have such a knack for envisioning the finished piece... this is going to be spectacular! I love that first photo of the beach... so calming.

Lauren said...

Wow, GORGEOUS, Allie! It's coming along beautifully.

Judy S. said...

Wonderful work, Allie! I love following your projects. BTW, you aren't missing a thing here weatherwise! Enjoy that sunshine and soak up a bit for me, too, OK?

Patricia said...

What a gorgeous beach! Sure does look good, I'm jealous!
Your block is so pretty. Can't wait to see what else you are going to do on the middle cameo.

Pat
Patricia Rose - A Potpourri of Fabric, Fragrance and Findings
www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

Debra Dixon said...

Another great piece under your experienced hand! I did some of that outline stitching broderie perse on my Hoffman Challenge piece this year and thought it had some possibilities. My problem is that I don't have the nice floral fabrics that work so well for broderie perse.

Vicki W said...

I sooooooo want to be where you are right now!

Susan Elliott said...

Interesting idea to use blue/purple stitching over the black -- it really pops but still leaves the area looking "black". I'm gonna file that one in the old memory bank...

I love love love the black/white and brights on the edge!!

I know what you mean about seeing how much more needs to be done. I'm struggling with the same thing on my November BJP -- I have millions of leaves and lots of foliage left to stitch -- so I've left myself plenty of time to do it. You're very good at slugging through those parts so I imagine, next time I check you'll have passed this point. I know how much you hate to wallow there...
Jealous of your view but, nevertheless, happy for you,
xo Susan

Conni said...

This is coming along beautifully! The subdued seam embellishments on the black background really set off the floral bouquet perfectly.

Teodo said...

Looking at your embroidery I imagine the summer......
ciao ciao from a cold Italy
ciao ciao

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This is beautiful - the quilt too. I wish Bettie Jo could see it - she would applaud.

FredaB said...

Hi Allie

Another beauty springs to life. The purple/blue stitching on the black was a great choice. It is not competing with the flowers.

Have a great time and enjoy the warmth.

Hugs

FredaB

Barbara C said...

One problem with stitching over prints is that the embellishment seems to disappear unless you're looking at it up close. But like you say, you get to a critical stage when it does all come together.

What a beautiful shot of the water. It must be gorgeous there.

Summerset said...

The darker area is perfect to set off all those flowers in the center. I can see the embroidered Broderie Perse working, too.

Betty said...

This is gorgeous woman! I thought I did projects quickly. You far surpass me! Glad you are enjoying Mexico. Uh, it was -8 here this morning.

Anonymous said...

How did you manage to get that shot without the vendadores coming up to sell you something!