It's coming along, but is pretty exhausting work! This is mostly because I am having to invent my sewing strategies as I go along, all the while shaping the composition as best I can in the process.
There seems to be a large oval developing in the center, which I like, but I am not going for symmetry either.
One tool that's helped a lot is my laptop! I would try different fabric arrangements of the grassy midground area, photograph them, then look at the image "reduced" on my laptop.
This helped me see where I wanted to change the value of an area, or how I wanted the waves to flow, or if some color was a little "off". It was a good way to audition fabrics.
This was the final "lay out". I decided I wanted the waves and beach to flow around and down.
Then I spent part of yesterday and today sewing that midsection.
This part was definitely the most difficult area to sew so far. I'm getting the look and feel that I want, though, which is what keeps me going.
That white area above the waves along the bottom is going to be a big foamy wave with lots of heavy white stitching, bead and crystal bubbles, like it is breaking on the shore. It balances out the white in the sky above the cottage, and also will be a great challenge! Because it will have the heaviest embellishment, that should make it "read" smack in the foreground.
I hope to get my beach "chunks" pieced tomorrow. Then will come the very slow and careful process of fitting and sewing them all together by hand.....