I am at the assembly stage of the different sections.
But before I show the overall view as of today, I thought I'd share another little piecing tidbit.
I like to layer fabrics and piece them as one sometimes, when the top fabric is sheer or loosely woven.
You don't have to use the 505 Spray here to temporarily hold the two fabrics together, but I like it because it prevents wrinkles or shifting of one fabric or the other while piecing with them.
So I give a quick spray to the bottom fabric, and then iron the top one over it.
Then I cut it to size....
...then sew it in place, and iron the heck out it (which hasn't been done here yet).
It's a simple way to get some extra texture in there.
As I began to work on the beach section, I realized I didn't quite have the imagery I needed. Part of the fun of this project is printing up the fabric as I need it.
I especially needed more sand. So I made some!
You can see where I am starting to play with it here.
That white squeaky sand on the shores of Lake Michigan just can't be beat.....
Before I could finalize the wavy section, I felt like I had to get the rest of the quilt top assembled, so I could really see what I had to work with. So I began hand appliqueing my "chunks".
You can see this one is ironed, pinned into place, and ready for some stitching.
I have to say, the inkAid coated cotton prints are a beast to stitch through. Too bad, that, but oh well.
So here I am as of this morning....
The midground chunks are pinned in place and ready to applique. The wavy section has been partially sewn but is actually quite unresolved and could change quite a bit....the newly printed beach might even have to go.
This process has been a good test of trying ideas out and then letting go of them again. And again. And again. They break like waves....!