Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cottage CQ...Further Progress

I am at the assembly stage of the different sections.
But before I show the overall view as of today, I thought I'd share another little piecing tidbit.

I like to layer fabrics and piece them as one sometimes, when the top fabric is sheer or loosely woven.

You don't have to use the 505 Spray here to temporarily hold the two fabrics together, but I like it because it prevents wrinkles or shifting of one fabric or the other while piecing with them.
So I give a quick spray to the bottom fabric, and then iron the top one over it.

Then I cut it to size....

...then sew it in place, and iron the heck out it (which hasn't been done here yet).
It's a simple way to get some extra texture in there.

As I began to work on the beach section, I realized I didn't quite have the imagery I needed. Part of the fun of this project is printing up the fabric as I need it.

I especially needed more sand. So I made some!

You can see where I am starting to play with it here.
That white squeaky sand on the shores of Lake Michigan just can't be beat.....

Before I could finalize the wavy section, I felt like I had to get the rest of the quilt top assembled, so I could really see what I had to work with. So I began hand appliqueing my "chunks".

You can see this one is ironed, pinned into place, and ready for some stitching.
I have to say, the inkAid coated cotton prints are a beast to stitch through. Too bad, that, but oh well.

So here I am as of this morning....

The midground chunks are pinned in place and ready to applique. The wavy section has been partially sewn but is actually quite unresolved and could change quite a bit....the newly printed beach might even have to go.
This process has been a good test of trying ideas out and then letting go of them again. And again. And again. They break like waves....!

17 comments :

Debra Dixon said...

When I look at this composition it reminds me of my Tropical Tree of Life with the tree canopy, side trees & the beach surrounding a main subject. What is so interesting is how those elements can be treated so differently at the hands of different people. I am always amazed at the depth of creativity when it has a chance to run free and become one's passion.

You are just doing a splendid job, Allie!

Pamela Kellogg said...

This promises to be another gorgeous project Allie! Am looking forward to following the journey.

Marty52 said...

Love the way you have snugged the waves on the beach up around the cottage on the left side. Very realistic!

WendyK said...

This is fabulous, would love to see it when it's finished. What a lot of work. Wish I had the patience. Wonderful work

Nellie's Needles said...

This is looking grand! I'm glad to be in on the beginning of your adventure in creating this piece. Thanks for sharing your process with us.

Judy S. said...

Looking good, Allie, and making me homesick for WI in the almost winter, no less. I'm enjoying your progress as well as the explanation.....thanks!

Dianne said...

Allie, love it so far and enjoy reading your tips and find your commentary and your work inspiring. Can't wait to see it when you get stitching but enjoying the creative process along with you. I wondered about stitching through those printed cottons? May go small if I try it out later!

Jane said...

Thanks for the helpful hints on piecing.. the 505 is going on the list as I see you use it for all kinds of things.. Like Marty, I love how the left side sneaks right into the whole picture. This has to be a puzzle and a half designing this, Allie!!

Susan Elliott said...

That tree canopy is to die for! Bravo!

Anonymous said...

This is so interesting to watch develop. You're really cruising with the muse on this one.

Patricia said...

I am really enjoying your sharing of this creative process. This is coming out amazingly! I don't think I would ever have the patience but am loving watching you.

Pat
www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

Esther Gregory said...

So I love your forest, and the distinct border with the sky (reminds me of arching branches over a pathway). There a couple of spots in your composition that are bothering my eyes, which I will put forward for your consideration. The way the forest cuts off into the water and the grassland seems awkward to me, as well as the straight line of the center block against the sky. I think what I would want to see is either a more smooth transition or a more compositionally meaningful border shape. I'm impressed with how well the straight lines of the center piece blend into the trees and grassland though. And your beach pieces are making me want to go sunbatheing.

JoWynn Johns said...

Your 505 came from Baltimore, from the same zip code where we lived 18 years ago.

I appreciate your analogy of ideas coming and going, like waves breaking on the shore. And I enjoy knowing that you, too, try out lots of ideas that you discard along the way.

And I know from experience how much this basic piecing will change as you embellish it. What a treat to watch the process!

Kay said...

This is stunning! The combinaation of new techniques like photo imagery with crazy quilting is interesting in itself, but the overall composition promises to be beautiful too.

Summerset said...

Yes, a big part of art is testing and letting go! In the end, you have pared away all the extraneous matter and are left with the pure essence of the theme you wish to artistically present.

Barbara C said...

Like JoWynn, I love your comparison of ideas to waves. That's exactly how it feels to me too.

Kelly Fletcher said...

Just came across your project - what a feat! Looks like fun though.