After a bit of futzing around, I figured out a way to make these bell-like flowers, at least a stylized version of them. The answer lay in using wired ribbon that I could shape.
There are ribbon whizzes out there but I am not one of them. Still, the wired kind makes it pretty easy to get what you want.
Have a look!
I started by pulling the bottom wire to gather the base of the flower. This ribbon is 1 inch wide...these bells could be cool with much wider ribbon...
I actually threaded the wire into a needle and secured my gathering with it. Still (and this is not shown), I went over the gathering with some strong beading thread because it was hard to get the other end of the wire secure when I cut the ribbon.
The edges of this rayon ribbon sealed like a dream, leaving no charred blobs, just an edge that no longer raveled.
The same thread used in reinforcing the bottom was used to sew the edges together. Note that at the top, the edge is folded back.
The seam is along the side where it doesn't show. Using the same thread, the back edge of the bell is sewn onto the quilt. Yes, it made me a little nervous stabbing that beautiful smooth blue silk like that!
This is a different flower, but it shows the base being sewn down.
Then I just had to do a little "needle sculpting" to ooch and smoosh the ribbon into shape.
Next came the calyxes, using the last of my 7mm hand dyed ribbon called "Spring Leaf", by Vicki Day. I sure love her ribbon!!!!!!
Next came the stems in a split stitch. Mary Corbet has a nice video demonstrating this stitch here. This ribbon is from River Silks.
And here are my bells!
I haven't added any leaves yet. Depending on how the quilt balances out, later I will know how "much" to add here.
Next I'm going to concentrate on getting some of those seams covered with stitching...
...and thanks for the nice "welcome back", y'all! ;-)