Well, I did get a lot done yesterday out there under the trees!
At this point in the development of my quilt, I am "filling in the gaps" of the ring of flowers around the center. I want them to make a complete, if loose, circle. So Sunday I pulled out my beautiful stash of Oya purchased from my Turkish friend Rengin and also those angelina butterflies that Catherine Smith of Oregon gave me when she was here visiting in April, and spent about an hour pinning them and unpinning them onto my quilt on its design wall, deciding where they were to go on.
Yesterday and this morning I sewed most of it all into place, also adding some cool Mokuba ombre ribbon leaves to some of the oya.
I used a leaf design from a Japanese book published by Mokuba. The oya are those pink dimensional needle lace flowers.
Here's a view of the back..pretty gnarly, eh?
I use a separate thread to tie off the ribbon so I don't have to make a knot at the end (though I don't mind starting with one.) I had to use pliers to pull the ribbon through for each stitch, which was a pain, but the ribbon held up just fine.
Here are the oya with their ombre ribbon leaves at the top of the quilt. I would have added more leaves but I ran out of ribbon!
Here is another little line of oya flowers, the purple and white ones. They came with little leaves on them so I just sewed them on there as is.
This line of oya is right next to the Golden Chain flowers...
These larger viola type oya are not sewn down yet...I have to figure out how to do the leaves for them still.
Here are two of Catherine's angelina butterflies. Wow do I love them...there are five on the quilt in all.
An overview of the whole quilt to date...you can see it is getting quite filled in!
Just like this is.... ;-)