For over a year I've been stumped over the best way to treat the large fan blades in my "H" quilt, so I was happy to find the teeny rickrack last week-end, as I knew I had finally found my solution. I wanted the seams covered, but not made busy...and admittedly, I didn't want to have to take a huge amount of time to accomplish that goal. The first of the four fans took two hours this morning. That is definitely doable....
I pretty much matched the colors of the rickrack to the fabrics of the fan blades.
Here's a detail. I had to tweak the color on some of the rickrack...I just used fabric markers which took about two seconds.
The red and gold fan of a few days just hadn't seemed complete to me...these plated copper leaves finished the job.
Originally I had thought this quilt would stay more traditional: I would not use much 3D embellishment, just relying on stitching work, as in the olden days of Victorian crazy quilting.