It measures 10 1/2" by 16". The lay-out is collaged into place, held together with fair amounts of 505 Spray and Fix, a temporary fabric adhesive. This is a fine product because it adds no stiffness to the finished piece, and I can move pieces around to tweak my lay-out as I go, unlike with fusible web. I only use tiny little blasts out of the can at a time, so the fumes are not an issue.
The next step will be to sew all my edges down with clear thread in a narrow zig-zag....then I get "dessert", which of course is the embroidery.
I tried to use the nap on the velvet so it would catch a little light...that is a mid-afternoon sun on the big lake, so there would be lots of shade mixed with bright patches of sun there on the bank in front of the cottages.
I know this place so intimately that it would really bug me if I didn't get it right!
Here's hoping the next step goes smoothly...will attack it in the morning when I am fresh. Afternoons are for the garden, and harvesting blackberries...