Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Herringbone Hearts

I decided to change the name of this 9 block heart project because the only stitch I am using is the herringbone.

I am starting to get to know this stitch...have you ever heard about how in music conservatories, beginning students are told to play just one note over and over for long periods, so that they can gradually learn to hear the whole spectrum of sounds within it?  I am feeling a little like that with this stitch: the repetition is teaching me about embroidery in a new way.  The herringbone has yet to reveal itself entirely to me...or maybe...I just love the herringbone stitch the best!

Anyway, I am almost done embroidering all nine hearts, but it has been awhile since I posted, so here is one of the finished ones...

I do love that 13mm silk ribbon from River Silks around the perimeter of the heart!  One spool just barely makes it all the way around...

Back to my herringbone now....   ;-)

12 comments :

Anonymous said...

Is that the stitch you used to do the silk ribbon around the heart also it looks wonderful.

allie aller said...

Yes, the 13mm ribbon is done in a very loose herringbone...thanks!

Anne said...

Allie, that is just beautiful. I am just beginning to explore this style of stitching / quilting and your work is wonderful inspiration.

Rian said...

Mmmmm. Love that!

Jill K Dutcher said...

Thank you for choosing River Silks!

-Jill K Dutcher
Marketing/Web Development
River Silks Ltd

Quiltgal said...

The whole thing is beautiful but I do love the silk ribbon around the heart

char said...

Really really beautiful. Love your work.

Marjolein said...

Very pretty, beautiful colors!

Shirlee Fassell said...

befor I read the content I really liked the stitch around the heart.. Is that hearingbone also??

arunright88 said...

Featured with the latest technological developments, Nikon has the model offering for all. It’s the brighter side of life that people wish to experience, and certainly Nikon stuffs are all ready to do that. Surely a great time at www.rightshopping.in/g/itb.asp?C=Nikon-Camera&b=Nikon&cid=2 is awaiting the visitor.

Unknown said...

Gifts are the gateways that let your heartfelt emotions drive to your loved acquaintances. Gifts make the recipient feel special not just because it can bring the feel good factor, but also because it makes both of you cherishing the quality terms you had with each other. Occasions, no matter whether personal or seasonal ones, gives you yet another opportunity to execute that. A trip to www.gifts-to-india.com/gifts_to_Bangalore.asp will escalate this treasured feel.

Chell said...

I am so impressed....That is beautiful. I love the "crazy quilt" look on quilts....Absolutely amazing!!