Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cowgirl C.Q.

I started this project last fall in my Curved Piecing class at the Victorian Stitchery Retreat.  When I got home, I did more work on it, which you can read about here and here.
While I was waiting for some ribbon to arrive for completing my Herringbone Hearts project, I decided to add to what I am now calling my Cowgirl C.Q.

I call it that because it is inspired by my cousin Tracy, a cowgirl down in New Mexico.  A few of the fabrics are from her, including one of her old shirts.  The vintage fabrics and blocks mixed in with the reproduction fabrics and the denim is an aesthetic that definitely reminds me of Tracy...

So I got out the fabrics that I used last time and added a few more that evoke Tracy to me, and got to work. 

Here is my pieced chunk, most of the way done.  I use a basic collage technique to add my patches, pinning them in place and sewing them down with clear thread in a zig zag applique.  This chunk is about 18" X 31".
When it was done, I cut it in half and added it to my project from November.
Now it looks like this:

It has been great fun using some of my burgeoning trim stash, as well as treasured bit of lace I've had a long time.  Some of my husband's worn out clothes contributed fabric too (that red and black plaid is from an old flannel shirt from our dairy days.)  And of course, a few butterflies flew in....




The ribbon has arrived so I will put this away again for now, but it's nice to know it is waiting for me....

7 comments :

Suztats said...

I like the way you've put this together with the pieced strips, and the lace.

Conni said...

Had to come over from Facebook and check this out! Love it!

Barbara C said...

I love seeing all these great prints together. It's a very happy piece.

Susan Elliott said...

As soon as I saw the title I thought of Tracy. It's looking like a rip roarin' beginning to a really fun quilt. She's gonna love it. I can't remember when you usually go there...I just remember that awesome bedroom you get to sleep in...and the scenery...

Gargi Bose said...

Books are the powerhouses of knowledge, and RightBooks.in believes books bring you the power of knowledge. Books accompany you for your lifetime, quality books result the betterment of your quality mindset. Visit at www.rightbooks.in to find books on your favorite topic.

Pamela Kellogg said...

I'm seeing some familiar things on this piece! I adore your work!!!

sandra said...

Hello!

I also love crazy quilting. Your works are beautiful.

Best wishes, Sandra