Thursday, August 11, 2011

Easy Finishing.... on the Renaissance 9 Patch

Using the properties of trims--especially their finished edges--helps to make finishing a small quilt a breeze.  I guess you could call this the Faux Binding approach.

May has been very helpful of late...

Silly cat.

Seriously, once the nine blocks were sewn together, it was a short morning's work to finish up this quilt.  Here is how it went...

This quilt did not need batting so I decided to forgo it.  I cut out a cotton backing that was 3/4" bigger all the way around than the quilt.  Then I ironed on a line of Lite Steam a Seam 2 along the perimeter of the quilt top.  It was a simple matter to iron the edge of the backing to the front.

Along the way I retrimmed the edge of the backing before the final folding where necessary...to make sure it was 3/4".

Once those edges were ironed over, I did a quick quilt in the ditch between the blocks with clear thread.

But what about those raw edges?
Here is where the trim comes in.  I just sewed it on, again with the clear thread in a zig zag, lining up the edge of the quilt and the edge of the trim on either side of my presser foot.  No pinning.  I don't like pinning.

Then another trim went on alongside the first one, which covered any bits of the backing that still showed, and gave me additional detail in the "binding".

As I got to the corners, I folded them into miters and just kept on sewing!

I love how that embossed, cut-out velvet trim plus the narrow fine lined ribbon gives such interest to the outside edge, for hardly any work.  This crazy quilt has a clean fresh look that I like...and I have to say, is in keeping with the "modern" look in quilting these days.
After all, this is for display in Renaissance Ribbon's trade show booth, so it has to be au curant.  ;-)  It measures 24" X 24".




20 comments :

Elizabeth said...

That sure was quick!! I am sure that the folks at Renaissance Ribbon will be thrilled!!!

Debra Dixon said...

Great project for a beginner.

Vicki W said...

Those ribbons are really special and I love the quilt. What a great project for beginners.

Shirlee Fassell said...

WoW you are quick but I am sure the kitty helped. Looks great where do you get that trim???

Becca said...

You quilt work is so inspiring to me! I also love your helper. I have two that like to help like that in my art room. :-)

Deb Hardman said...

Wow, it looks GREAT!

Kerri Murphy said...

Very Nice! What a great pattern.

Your kitty looks a great deal like our beloved kitty of 18 that we lost this summer. Her name was Fergie. They look amazingly alike!

Conni said...

Positively brilliant finishing technique! Beautiful quilt!

Susan said...

Wow this is so interesting and the result great. Thanks for sharing.

JoWynn Johns said...

What a great marketing tool for Renaissance Ribbon. There will be a run on their products as customers stock up to emulate your creative use of the ribbons. Totally satisfying, Allie.

Linda Steele said...

Quilts are a cat magnet.

Linda Steele said...

Quilts are a cat magnet

Barbara C said...

That's a very nifty finishing technique. I'm going to have to bookmark your instructions.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

How cute and creative is that! I will have to try this. Beginner or not, this looks like a lot of fun for anyone. The colors you have chosen are wonderful too. Thank you for sharing! ;)

Indrashis said...

Very Good website. I like the contents. From www.rightgadgets.in/items_subcat.asp?Category=Laptops_India_Online&cid=3&brand=Apple

Kay said...

Neat binding trick, Allie! I'll remember it, or try to any way.

LFN Textiles said...

Hi Allie, this is delightful! I am the designer of a lot of those ribbons and always love to see them used in fresh ways. Can I link to this from my blog, and use one of the photos?

Laura Nicholson
LFN Textiles

Anonymous said...

Allie, I loved what you did...Your kitty is lovely:))

Anonymous said...

It’s the utility gadget galore that Panasonic has resulted for its clients. Just mere utility is actually not the enough to define its handiness. Studded with a rich variety of stuffs, it’s the link at www.rightgadgets.in/items_subcat.asp?Category=Kitchen%20Appliances_India_Online&cid=6&brand=Panasonic that makes you kitchen solution.

Susan Elliott said...

This should be called the Whippersnap Quilt! It's was SuPer quick...plus I have seen many antique quilts that used ribbons for patches and/or seams so this is completely in line with that.

Love that velvet ribbon with the holes in it...I have to find some of that...I'm assuming it's from Renaissance...I have always loved the Laura Foster Nicholson ribbons and since her line is licensed through them now I've been meaning to make an order because she introduced a tea party ribbon and I just can't resist that.

It's really cool to see your one opportunity lead to the next...lead to the next...like a chain reaction! You go, you beautiful girl!!