Wednesday, June 15, 2011

"Rainy Spring"...Piecing Complete

This has been an extravaganza of piecing!
But now I have finished all 49 blocks. They are pinned up on the wall awaiting interfacing, trimming, and sewing together....because this quilt will be embellished as a whole, not block by block.

I thought I'd show the weird way I've been piecing this project.  One of the key points is that I use clear monofilament thread for the top and a lightweight neutral cotton thread in the bobbin.  The reason for this is that I can switch from flip and sew to applique without having to change threads all the time.  This gives me a ton of flexibility as I am sewing along.

 
So first I lay out my pieces. This is one of the four outer corner blocks.  They are golden and light colored to show how the sun occasionally comes out and makes everything glinty. Holographic lame, gold embroidered organza...it's very fun to use this stuff!


I cut out separate foundation muslin for these fan shapes using my AccuQuilt "Drunkard's Path" die.  Then after I figure out how the puzzle best fits together, I start combining patches.

Because the pieces are pretty small, and the metallic fabrics make nasty seam allowances, I sometimes use this knitting ribbon to cover the raw edges where two sections butt up against each other on the foundation.
Love the sparkle on that lame under the sewing machine's light!

Different lighting entirely here (it was once again very cloudy outside), but you can see the block pinned into place.

And here is the entire quilt! 

Obviously it will tighten up considerably when it is sewn together.  And this is just the first "layer"....the embellishments will help blend the gold into the green, the green into the blue, and the blue into the white to soften those edges.

I've got to psyche up for the next phase...I think a new rotary cutter blade is in order for all this trimming!  Time to change needles on the machine as well...  ;-)

But first, a reward for my hard work! 

Husband made sourdough with butter and orange blossom honey.  To die for....

17 comments :

Amy Munson said...

I love the color changes from the center to the edge. Looking forward to the embellishment journey.

Marty52 said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely, Miss Allie. And the quilt is pretty, too! HeeHeeHee!!

Valerie L said...

I love the colors. The bread looks great as well!

peggy bass said...

i love your quilt and the process you go through...beautiful creativeness...peg in ks

Gerry Krueger said...

FORTY NINE BLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just fainted dead away!!!! I've decided that you must not only work nonstop and sew fast, you must must make instaneous decisions... This is just lovely... Hope to see it in person someday.... Ger K.

JodieD said...

I'm with Marty: I love it all, especially the girl!

Sherrie Spangler said...

This is fabulous as is! I just bought your book and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

I love the soft merging from green into gold and the subtle iridescence on the gold metallics. Looking forward to the next phase.

Pamela Kellogg said...

Allie, you have such a unique CQ style! So beautiful and I'm so much enjoying your progress on this.

We have a lot of cloudy days too. But I was able to get my herb garden done last weekend.

Hugs!

Susan Elliott said...

Wonderful Allie! And I love the quilt too...

And I'm with Gerry...49 block!!!! You, literally, are a machine!

jacki said...

Talent.... Pure Talent

Barbara C said...

What a gorgeous block. That tear drop shape in the middle with the embroidered bit make the whole thing look so elegant. Your fabrics are stunning.

Conni said...

This is pure confection! I love your use of the sheer fabrics - and what a great tip to use clear thread on top and neutral cotton in the bobbin!

Can't wait to see it embellished!

JoWynn Johns said...

Thanks for the show-and-tell on piecing.

carole brungar said...

49 blocks!! Wow! it's looking lovely!!

Helen Winn said...

i purchased your Crazy Quilting book and just have enjoyed it so much. My friend and I have been trying to get the Dream-A-Seam templates and can not find them. Have tried your resource and they don't have can you help us in finding them? thanks and hope to see you in Houston!! Helen Winn

Anonymous said...

Your Rakhi threads symbolize the eternal togetherness; your Rakhi Puja thalis mark your best wishes for rest of the lives of your siblings. This festival is something that will make your presence felt among siblings forever. Visit www.gifts-to-india.com/rakhi.asp for more details.