This has been an extravaganza of piecing!
But now I have finished all 49 blocks. They are pinned up on the wall awaiting interfacing, trimming, and sewing together....because this quilt will be embellished as a whole, not block by block.
I thought I'd show the weird way I've been piecing this project. One of the key points is that I use clear monofilament thread for the top and a lightweight neutral cotton thread in the bobbin. The reason for this is that I can switch from flip and sew to applique without having to change threads all the time. This gives me a ton of flexibility as I am sewing along.
So first I lay out my pieces. This is one of the four outer corner blocks. They are golden and light colored to show how the sun occasionally comes out and makes everything glinty. Holographic lame, gold embroidered organza...it's very fun to use this stuff!
I cut out separate foundation muslin for these fan shapes using my AccuQuilt "Drunkard's Path" die. Then after I figure out how the puzzle best fits together, I start combining patches.
Love the sparkle on that lame under the sewing machine's light!
And here is the entire quilt!
I've got to psyche up for the next phase...I think a new rotary cutter blade is in order for all this trimming! Time to change needles on the machine as well... ;-)
But first, a reward for my hard work!