Kreinik metallic ribbons completely beguiled me.
I decided to couch over all of my seams in my 49 blocks with these wide threads (1/8") and other narrow trims. I just don't know what got into me to try working this way but I've had a blast roaring away on my sewing machine.
All the block seams are covered now.
It started with wanting to cover the light blue seams with this shiny stuff, to symbolize all the rain.
Then I just carried on the same concept with the outer blocks. What I liked about this approach was that the decision making was fast and furious.
In this picture all the blocks in their rough state are pinned up on the wall.
Since I took this shot I've been interfacing and trimming the blocks, sewing the fan shapes down, and generally making things much more cohesive looking. When it is sewn together I'll have a much better idea of what I've really got here.
For all this will function as the basis, or background, for the surface embellishment.
...and the flowers ARE starting to bloom....