Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Rainy Spring"...A Whole Lot of Couching Going On

First the trim took me in an unexpected direction, and now the thread has!

These Kreinik metallic ribbons completely beguiled me.
I decided to couch over all of my seams in my 49 blocks with these wide threads (1/8") and other narrow trims. I just don't know what got into me to try working this way but I've had a blast roaring away on my sewing machine.

All the block seams are covered now.


 It started with wanting to cover the light blue seams with this shiny stuff, to symbolize all the rain.

 
 Then I just carried on the same concept with the outer blocks.  What I liked about this approach was that the decision making was fast and furious. 

Sometimes I would combine threads and trims along one seam, sometimes not.

 It really was fun.

In this picture all the blocks in their rough state are pinned up on the wall.


 Since I took this shot I've been interfacing and trimming the blocks, sewing the fan shapes down, and generally making things much more cohesive looking.  When it is sewn together I'll have a much better idea of what I've really got here.
For all this will function as the basis, or background, for the surface embellishment.

 For the sun IS starting to shine....
...and the flowers ARE starting to bloom....

 I'm sure they will surprise me too!

10 comments :

Debra Dixon said...

The advantage to this method, of course, is that if you don't want to embroider/embellish a seam, it is still addressed with the thread or cording. It gives a nice finished look & an additional layer of interest.

Suztats said...

Love what you've done so far! Looking forward to seeing it all come together into one of your gorgeous quilts.

Shirlee Fassell said...

I love the way you covered the seams.. It really give each block a finished look.. I also love the way you layered your colors. This is gonna be a keeper!!

Pamela Kellogg said...

Allie, your blocks look awesome with the Kreinik ribbons. Don't you just love those!

Glad you had some sun yesterday. We had rain most of the day but it wasn't as humid as it's been. Looks like today will be the same. That's ok, more stitching time!

Rian said...

Wowzer, that is some beautimous thread. I like the look--simple and sparkly. Sophisticated. Yep.

Susan Elliott said...

Can I just say that that pic of all those metallic greens was a great way to welcome me to this post! They are perfect for this quilt and then to see that you couched all your seam...well! How fun is that? It is already beginning to look less wild...yet the metallics are poppin! Just what happens on a gray rainy day...

Now...are you really going to sew it all together before you stitch it or are you gonna work in sections? This part is where I always get stuck when I think about making a large quilt...I can handle the design part...but I can't figure out how to break that down into stitchable blocks that will then fit back together. I need to find a pathway that I can see for its entirety. I don't really want to work block by block because then I'm afraid the whole won't be cohesive and it won't look good from far away...yet, the thought of stitching the whole quilt at once is daunting...PLUS I don't want to make it too hard for my first time.

Boy, you're blog really wears me out with the thinking about it all. I think I need a nap now...xo Susan

Elizabeth said...

I love what youa re doing here!! I also am very interested in how you will answer Susan's question.
I am so glad that the sun is starting to reintroduce itself to you!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a wonderfully unusual idea! The colours are just like rain-saturated leaves. Delicious!

Barbara C said...

The layers of detail on this piece are going to be impressive. I really like the outlined effect of this technique. Each patch is like a piece of stained glass.

Summerset said...

Beautiful and a great result for it being so spontaneous. I love it when things work out like that!