Thank you, kind commenters, for your suggestions on the fabric printing. I really appreciate your taking the time to steer me in the right direction.
I went through a lot of ink trying different saturation levels, both in my digital photograph and by changing the saturation level in my printer's "advanced properties" settings. I also used different fabrics, namely cotton and silk satin.
I should add that I use an Epson 6600 home printer (which cost $100 at Best Buy a year and a half ago.) I chose the Epson because it uses pigment-based inks, as opposed to the dye-based inks that HP printers use. With the pigment inks, you just have to make sure the sizing is out of the fabric, but no other pre-treatment is necessary for permanent printing.
The top print is silk satin with the saturation in the photo upped quite a bit. This was my best print by far.
I really went through that magenta ink!
I like the silk the best...but I had already printed up a full "set" of cottons so decided to try making up this little quilt out of those. This time I added machine quilting to make the flowers puff out a bit.
It doesn't have its binding on yet.
Here's a detail. I am feeling a bit more like a "sane quilter" than a crazy quilter these days...but of course I am still insane about the flowers....