Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Gilding the Lily and Frosting the Cake

My friend Kathy from Out of the Basement used that phrase to describe what I am doing at this point on the Fan Quilt, and I'd say that is quite apt!
Another analogy is that the quilt is just getting more finely focused as it gets filled in...but I like the frosting better........


The chenille and ribbon trim which I augmented a little bit on the right is not supposed to stand out...but, oh look who showed up below it, more little fan like creatures! ...I tried to tie in their colors to that veiney fabric below them...helps move the eye and integrate these very disparate color schemes I have going in this quilt.



More fans! Oh boy, I love 'em...and that stitching below them is Detail #1 from the 100 Details in 100 Days, way last June. Ah, fond memories....weren't those Details the greatest?

7 comments :

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This quilt is really beginning to dance - looks like a cumbia rhythm. Indeed, it is frosting! Beautiful.

Barbara C said...

How lovely! The fans in the second picture reminds me of bunches of calla lillies.

Robin said...

I love your fans too. Sweeeeeeet!

Susan said...

Really like those wavy rows under the fans. I think your color choices were successful, too. What a beautiful piece this is becoming! And quite a stitch dictionary, too. =)

Marty52 said...

*****le sigh*****

Kay said...

So glad you thought my comment fit! I love those little fans, especially the blue ones.

Unknown said...

I am truly inspired by this quilt. I am just beginning to quilt. This quilt truly reflects the limitless possibilities and creative expression one can reach through quilting. Thanks for sharing!