Friday, January 21, 2022

Quilt Finishes for 2021 (and Beyond)Part 2: The Palimpsest Series

Palimpsest: something reused or altered but still bearing visible traces of its earlier form.

During the second half of 2021 I dove into the Palimpsest Series. I take an old, tattered "base quilt" and create a new quilt on top of it, hopefully letting the character of the original quilt come through.

Those old quilts have such beautiful hand quilting in them, and their drape is so soft from use. I've adored working with them. Each one is different, of course, requiring different techniques and strategies to bring it to new life. Sometimes the entire original base quilt is covered, sometimes not. But the handquilting always shows on the back.

To gather them in one place, I post below the finished image of the first 11 of them, with brief captions. I am continuing the series here in 2022.

 
A vintage cloth childrens' book provided the imagery for this baby quilt.

 
Palimpsest #1.  Three different base quilt sections were joined to make the background.
 
Palimpsest #2. Vintage blocks, trim, and rick rack transform the base quilt.
 
Palmpsest #3. A favorite, tattered old quilt was restored with new patches and a new center.

Palmpsest #4. Many vintage textlile elements create the new compositional layer over the original base quilt.

Palimpsest #5. Over the top, this one is!

Palimpsest #6. This was laid out over a single piece of Pendleton wool, with a velour backing.
 
Palimpsest #7. The base quilt was overdyed and is the red that you see.
 
Palimpsest #8. Floral blockprints from India are featured.
 
Palimpsest #9. This draws on my years in crazy quilting.
 
 
Palimpsest #10. The base quilt was overdyed and you can still see its patterns. This quilt was an interpretation of an antique quilt owned by Julie Silber. See it here.
 
Palimpsesst #11, 80" X 80". The original quilt was such a wreck that only the border from it shows. But the drape is wonderful. I included old quilt blocks and part of a top, piecing of my own, fabric from India, France, and embroidery from Slovakia.
 
Palimpsest #12, 76" X 80". The base quilt is a 1980's mass-produced Double Wedding Ring imported from China. Hand dyed sky fabric, vintage curtains, and a few quilters' cottons completed the mix.
 
 
  What a joy this series has been for me.
 

 



 

 

 



 

 

9 comments :

Cathy said...

Oh my, what a wealth of beauty and inspiration! Your creativity knows no bounds!

allie aller said...

Cathy, thank you so much!

Susan said...

So very inspiring! One quilt is more beautiful than the next. I have a variety of old worn quilts, hankies, linens and so on...you have encouraged me to start on a new journey. Thank you so much!

allie aller said...

Thank you so much! I hope you will enjoy the journey!

Simple Girl Complex World said...

Many people marvel at my many love affairs with anything & everything to do with hand sewing. You definitely have out needled me! (I know it's not a competition)
I have enjoyed discovering & reading your blog! I'm a blogger, also, I'm loving reading your blog entries!

Endra Putra Raharja said...

"Thank you for nice information
Please visit our website unimuda and uhamka"

Jean said...

Just love your stuff... you are an inspiration... thank you for sharing.

divyani verma said...

That's a very great post , I'll recommend everyone to read this information.

Read more

Msgclub said...

That's lovely post. For more information to read this content Bulk SMS services are low-cost and share necessary information regarding your products, offers, and other deals or services.