Friday, January 30, 2015

The Joyful Embellishments Stitch Along Series

Hi Everyone!
I love being published but the downside is that when I am working on things for future publication, I can't blog about them.  So you haven't seen much of me here on the blog lately.

But the Joyful Embellishments Stitch Along, hosted by my co-author and dear friend Val Bothell over on Facebook, is purely for the personal pleasure of it, so I'll be posting my stitches once a week here.

We are already a month into it.  The way it works is, Val presents a photo of a stitch variation every week day, and then we either replicate it or use it as a jumping off point for our own designs.  You can kind of guess which way I'm going with that one!

Mostly this is because I have a pieced crazy quilt top all ready to receive the stitches, but the scale I want to use is much larger than Val's delicate fine stitching.  Plus, all these flowers started creeping in on mine.  Wouldn't you know it!

Here is the quilt top:

Well, there is another border but I'll show that at the end.

In order to catch up, here are my first 19 stitches (not in chronological order, sorry!)  There was one seam I just could not photograph well!

These are ALL variations on the feather stitch.















 






And here is the quilt with all those seams in place:


It might grow another border before the year is out.  Because yes, this series is going to go on all year.

February's stitch is the herringbone.  My favorite!

14 comments :

Arlene Delloro said...

Love your border. I'm finishing up a portrait of my cat (done as a result of a Leni Weiner workshop) and I am piecing small crazy blocks for my border. I love the look and was so pleased to see yours.

DH said...

I love your beautiful, bright quilt and stitching! The colors are so vibrant! Every week I look forward to seeing your gorgeous stitches at Joyful Embellishments. Thanks for your tips and for sharing where you get some of your fancy stuff. Dawn H

Unknown said...

I love your bright, colourful stitching, Allison. Sadly I've had to put the Joyful Embellishments Stitching aside for now. I might get back to it when life returns to a new normal. Right now caring for DH in his last couple of weeks is taking up all my time and energy. However, I just want to say how lovely your work is with all that beautiful colour.

Maureen said...

Beautiful work Allie!

Lisa Boni said...

Just love the color blocking that you've done with this one and how the borders pull the different sections together! I'm having such fun with this stitch along ~ so nice to not have to think too much about what I'm doing, but just stitch along! I think I'm going to make a new bell-pull/runner for each stitch, but not assemble anything just yet. At the end of the year, I may decide to put them all together!

so excited to hear that your not being able to share anything you are working on, on your blog, means that there is another book to come!

magicmoonmusings said...

Just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing these pictures, lots of inspiration!

The colour combos on this quilt are some of my favourites - really striking.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! I love the colors!
Rebecca G

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

I am enjoying participating as well and seeing what everyone else is doing with their stitches, amazing!

Susan Elliott said...

Holy smokes that's a LOT of seams!!! This is great. It reminds me of how you and I first met...100 details in 100 days with Sharon Boggon...*sigh* I signed up for the group even though I'm a horrid Facebooker and I don't have anything to put any seams on...a year is a looong time though, so who knows. I'll enjoy vicariously through you Happy day and happy sttiching...did you just say you were publishing again?? Good for you! Your starting to give Agatha Christie a run for her money!!! love to you doll...susan

Judy S. said...

What a colorfully beautiful project, Allie! Hope you are having a great Valentine's weekend.

Ronni said...

Your always reinventing Crazy Patches in new ways! This design is intriguing, Allison - Congrats!

lorniki said...

Fabulous work! Thank you so much for sharing. Where can I purchase the beautiful beads you use?

SuperMomNoCape said...

I know this is an older post but your work is so lovely I wanted to compliment you on it.

I've recently started a Stitchery Link Party for all things hand embroidered and would love to have you come link up this post or any of your older posts so that my readers can enjoy them too.
http://www.supermomnocape.com/2015/05/18/vintage-embroidery-monday-stitchery-link-party-6/

If you've never participated in a link party before I also have a short tutorial available.

Indian Saree Store said...

Nice border work information like handwork for designer collection Indian Saree Store