I spent years back in the day making Broderie Perse style wall hangings...you know, where you cut out a printed image and applique it onto a background fabric. Well, I love and miss that technique so I decided to indulge in it for my new quilt. It will be the focal point in the center. I'm adding some other elements to it, too...have a look so far.
It started with a border I had on hand from another quilt that didn't get used, combining vintage blocks and fabrics--with a few repros mixed in--and some vintage hexies I got off Ebay...
So this sets the stage..
Next, see that floral fabric folded up on the floor beneath the quilt? It's been calling to me....(It too was an Ebay find...)
I had my cut-out on a small mat that I could rotate and move around as I snipped, so I never had to move the fabric. Keeping it flat helped prevent any stress on those fragile cut out stems.
Once it was fused onto the background fabric (which is a vintage table cloth, stabilized with fusible knit interfacing), the sewing began....I used YLI silk thread in the top in a new size #60 needle; the bobbin had a matching cotton machine embroidery thread. My buttonhole stitch was set to 1.5 wide, 1.5 long, and away I went.
It got pretty detailed...but that is what makes Broderie Perse so special. This rosebud is about 2 1/2" long.
All nice and sewn down, perfectly flat, no fraying...Yay! It measures about 16" wide by 21 1/2" long.
I'm making this the focal point of the quilt.
Next I need to applique that whole center section down onto a muslin foundation. I cannot deal with those hexies any other way! Plus, you know they're going to get buttonholed anyways...
The large white areas will be crazy-pieced with a great bundle of shirting from Newcastle Fabrics, "Margo's Favorite Shirtings". (Scroll down on the link.)
And yes, I will EVEN quilt this! That Sweet 16 is waiting, waiting....