I finally got to finish this quilt!
I was most eager to see how that 38mm silk ribbon done in the herringbone around the perimeter of the quilt was going to look, acting as a visual "binding". I mean, it is there where the binding should be, isn't really binding at all, but suggests it.
Because this quilt:
a) is not for competition
b) has no weighty embellishments on it
c) used a woven "batting"
d) is for the wall, so is therefore not functional
I chose to use a very simple finishing technique on it that went super fast.
Here are the steps I took to do it.....
I love this stuff for crazy quilts and use it all the time. It is flat not puffy, and the weave gives a nice internal structural support to the quilt. It is cheap and easy to work with too. I get it at Fabric Depot in Portland.
I folded the extra silk fabric beyond the stitching to the inside of the top.
On the back, I just sewed four buttons to keep the layers together, located at the four corners of the center block. Here you can see that my button stitching is "in the ditch", through to the front at the intersection of the corners, and hence won't show.
Poking the needle back through to the back here.
Just four buttons, I told you this was fast!
I put a sleeve on it too...
Now the front edge looks like this:
And I am glad to cross this project off my "to do" list.
I'll be teaching this block at Road to California next January. Registration begins July 8th!