This quilt grew to be 65" X 73", much to my surprise.
I had enjoyed making that central section, I liked the piecing process and the colors, wanted to do more...so I kept adding on to it.
But that is because I realized that I wanted this to be a functional, cozy quilt. I want to use it.
Next time I will be more deliberate about the proportions of everything...this time the denim strips were limited in width (too narrow, IMO) by the fact that my husband would let me cut up only two pairs of his old jeans. But I wanted only HIS jeans in there, so that's why I didn't go to the thrift store to get more.
There is a red and black faded flannel in the piecing from his favorite old shirt from our dairy days, too.
Anyways, this quilt is about ranch days, our old one and also my cousin Tracy's. The aesthetic is hers, and some of the fabrics too (and one of her shirts.) As I was making this, I thought a lot about her.
Here is a YouTube about how I made it.
When it came time to add the rayon plaid woven ribbon, I knew it wasn't "hefty" enough in weight.
here. I gave the ribbon a double layer.
Once everything was assembled, the quilt top did not exactly lie flat. Frankly, my whole approach had been a bit too slapdash for the intense kind of quality control that goes into a competition quilt. I was just having fun and experimenting!
Still, this will be a great couch quilt!
I plan on simply machine quilting in the ditch between all the horizontal and vertical bars, with no handwork at all going on.
And--oh dear--I've been rather active on Ebay lately buying more old blocks....