Friday, November 11, 2011

Wonderful Wichita

It couldn't have been a better week.  Gathering at the Hotel at Old Town, students and teachers enjoyed classes, camaraderie, and the friendly and helpful staff at this restored hotel.
It was a neat  neighborhood full of restaurants, shops, and museums, all easy walking distance.

We all raved about this place!

I taught for three days, two of them being my "Home Portraits" class.

My students worked hard, each of them bringing their own unique "take" on this concept.
Bonnie's house, below, is one example.

This photo already has a painterly quality.  She is defining the house in stitching here, but later on will have a blast with the foliage.  In class we talked about how each person would create a "setting" or context for their portrait, and that was really fun.

During my second session of this class, I had three cousins who all brought the same image, a drawing of their grandmother's house where they used to play together as children.

They were so much fun!

They all plan on finishing these by Christmas and giving them to their mothers, who are sisters.  Is that cool or what?

Sandy, the oldest, had brought a beautiful wedding dress for the evening's build-your-stash event (where old dresses are cut up for everyone to get a piece.)  Her cousins insisted that the dress was too beautiful for that, and made her put it back in the car!
I agreed with them....but asked if I could "try it on" (putting my arms through the sleeves) before they did.  I had never worn a bridal gown (got married in something simpler) and just had to try it.

A bouquet of Judith Montano's silk ribbons for sale completed the array.
I can cross this off my bucket list!

I think everyone learned some new approaches for their own work in the Curved Piecing class.

Busy, busy, busy!

Everybody put their own spin on it.

This student couldn't stand lace, but she loves monsters.
Crazy quilting can take many forms!

There was a great show and tell with some terrific attendees' work for all to admire.

I so wish I could remember names better...this hexagon set CQ was so original and beautifully made.

But the crazy quilt I loved best was this one:

It just speaks to my soul...it is like a many layered poem that I want to read and read some more.

Here are my fellow teachers taking a closer look at a quilt being passed around.

Candace Kling and Judith Montano were a delight to get to know....and learn from.

Another teacher was Carole Samples, who gave a lecture on categorizing crazy quilt blocks that I will never, ever forget.

What a national treasure she is!!!

I can't thank Val Bothell enough for hosting this retreat and doing such a beautiful job for everyone, bringing us together to share our love of crazy quilting, embellishment, and stitching.

Unfortunately, our fellow teacher Gerry Kreuger was busy teaching when we grabbed a chance for a group photo...but the rest of the crew are me, Judith Montano, Candace Kling, Dixie Derksen, Val Bothell, and Carole Samples.
Thanks to everyone who came and made this so special....

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

I had so much fun at the retreat. Your curved piecing class was great. Thanks for showing my hexagon quilt.
Marci

JoWynn Johns said...

You in the bridal gown--what fun!

Suzanne said...

Looks like a absolutely wonderful creative weekend was accomplished by both teachers and students!

Elizabeth said...

What a fabulous retreat for everyone!!!! It would be very cool to see the Cousins finished pieces!!! Great that you had an opportunity to be a bride in full regalia- What a beauty!!

Barbara C said...

Great photos of the teachers and students: it looks like it was a fabulous retreat. I think you should embellish your "bridal" photo. You make a very convincing bride.

Kerri Murphy said...

I was going to come to this with my great friends from KC. I see them in your pictures. There are Victoria, Marci and Pam. I really wanted to meet you in person. Maybe next time. It looks like you all had a great time! I love the Hotel at Old Town! A great place!

Unknown said...

I missed the Retreat this year, and you too Allie, so it was great to read your description and see the photos. What a great group! Talented teachers and students -- Val does a great job putting this together each year.

Maybe you could photoshop that wedding gown photo and make it into portait -- you know, just reinvent history. :)

Amy Munson said...

2012 is on my calendar (my mom's too).

Deb Hardman said...

It looks like a grand time, & stellar company!