I've been adding bits of flash to Jill's Quilt....
.....but am taking time away from that now to create a wallhanging for my friends at M & S Schmalberg. They make custom fabric flowers the old fashioned way, on brass molds and by hand. They are located in the Garment District in New York City, and I will get to meet them when I travel to the East Coast in a few weeks!
I've done lots of lettering on quilts over the years, but never with wool felt. After this, it will be hard to use anything else. It is very forgiving and has a nice saturated look.
The letters are cut out and ready to be sewn onto this prepared background (prepared with interfacing, that is. I never machine applique anything without interfacing anymore, if I can help it.)
That Sulky spray is to adhere the letters to the background for sewing.
Before the letters went on, I put that pretty lace that my dear friend Pam Kellogg sent me over the background, to make an interesting texture.
Then after smoothing the sticky letters on, I zigzagged around their perimeters with a clear monofilament thread.
I changed needles for the smaller letters, to a Microsharp size 60. This leaves the smallest hole, which even though this is felt, is a good thing. There is less distortion in the sewing if the needle is fine, too.
I used the lace to keep the letters lined up...spacing is always an issue too. It worked fairly well.
And you just know what is going to happen next......
This is going to be a very enjoyable week-end!