Thursday, September 17, 2009

Vintage CQ...Flower #18

Greetings!
Those twin babies were straight from heaven. It was so great to meet them last week-end!

I did have time to complete another of the wheel blocks for my Vintage CQ. Here is #18:

The designs for these blocks seem to be either large close-ups of a single flower, or some kind of spray of small ones.
These are made from narrow ombre Mokuba ribbon, 3mm Swarovski crystals, Kreinik Silk Serica thread (one of my all time faves), and some ribbon that dear Rengin sent to me long ago. Oh, and there is some hand-painted fabric from Vicki in there, too! It's the warm yellow...

There are 12 blocks more to go...I'll be done by Christmas!

But along the way, I will have some awesome new inspiration. I have a new book on silk ribbon flowers that is unbelievable.

Would you look at those nasturtium on the cover!

If you click on the photo here, you can get a better look at the flowers on the back of the book.
I've done an initial reading of the book, and found that the brave author paints her ribbon after it is stitched into place. She has many technical tips and great artistry to share...and sets the bar very, very high.
But like Susan with her Charm School (just look how she has recreated the Alstroemeria Lily here after gaining technique from delving into Di van Niekirk's book, Ribbon Embroidery and Stumpwork, this summer), I plan on studying this book and chosing one of the flowers to replicate.

** EDIT**
This book can be found at www.Abebooks.com here. It has a different cover than the copy I have, but it sure sounds like the exact same book.
Thanks, Judy, for this heads up!

I'll have it next Thursday...see you then!

15 comments :

Susan Elliott said...

Still my beating heart! Your work is enough all by itself to send my heart aflutter but this new book sends me over the top. It's not available in the U.S. is it? Of course, I sped off on the hunt and could only find it in the U.K... Lucky for all our friends across the pond but so sad for us -- we have to wait for March 2010! Wherever did you get it?

Oh well, we'll have to wait and see what you can share with us next week! Oh boy oh boy!!! And thank you for mentioning my little flowers...

qwerty said...

Another beautiful block!

And that book looks incredible - the realism is breathtaking.

Vicki W said...

I was so buys studying the flowers that I missed the fabrics! LOL!

Dena said...

This new book looks interesting. I'll have to take a look at it. Nice job on your block.

Raspberry said...

I love this block - that purple looks so perfect.

Conni said...

Another gorgeous block, Allie!

I just checked Amazon.com and the book is available on pre-order. I just added it to my Wish List! Can't wait!

Lin Moon said...

Ok, we're all drooling with anticipation for this book - where in the world can you get it now when Amazon says 2010? Are you secretly in the UK? ha ha

allie aller said...

Where to find this book?
I got mine from a friend, and I don't know where she got it from...but...I typed the exact title and author into www.abebooks.com and they have I think 20 copies, even though it says the publication date is in March.

The ways of publishers are indeed mysterious! But try Abebooks?

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This book looks fabulous! Just what I've been wishing for - I've been outside studying vines, etc. and rain lilies (it finally rained here for two whole days) and wanting to replicate them in silk ribbon. It's easier to watch someone else do it - so thanks!!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Abe Books has it - I just ordered one. Again, THANKS!!

JoWynn Johns said...

Another floral motif to revel in!

I have Ann Cox's Silk Ribbon Embroidery book, and it is also a fabulous resource. Even then, she was painting after making the flowers, and painting parts in the process.

Lin Moon said...

Allie,
The book at abebooks.com that shows up has a different isbn number, so I don't think it is the same book....
thoughts from a bookseller, ya know.

Deb Hardman said...

It sounds like I may HAVE to buy another book! I don't buy many these days, but his one looks worth it.
Thanks for sharing.
Your latest block is beautiful of course. I also loved the links. Thanks again Allie.

Betty said...

Allie, I just got this copy in the mail yesterday. I had pre-ordered it from Crafter's Choice. Lovely! Can't wait to stitch some ideas there. Also, did you see Di has a new book on silk ribbon monograms? I have that pre-ordered as well. I know what I will be doing this winter...

Granny Fran said...

I imagine this book will lead to more of your gorgeous flower creations. Love those nasturtiums. I don't have luck growing them, although a neighbor, a block away, has fantastic nasturtiums every summer. Maybe I could learn to make them from ribbon.