It's funny how design decisions will reveal themselves slowly on a long-term (and experimental) project like this.
There was one section on the grassy area that didn't feel right to me, and hasn't for awhile, but I wasn't sure what it was or what to do about it.
Then this morning, bingo, there it all was in my head, so I decided to act on it right away.
It's the light colored grasses with the bullion seedheads. They stick out too far to the right.
I put a piece of tracing paper in place to see if the solution was to straighten out that edge and instantly thought, "Oh yes that's it".
I pinned the new fabric patches in place and whipstitched them on, right over what was under it.
After carrying over the French knotted flower motif from the patch to the right, I decided the background fabric was too light. Prismacolor pencil to the rescue.
Then some yarn got couched along the new seams, creating some more of those "seam driven motifs" I've been trying out with this project.
I did add the same couched yarn treatment to the other side.
I like how this reads so much better. Those vertical seams forming the oval will eventually have cording couched over them to define them...
Nothing like designing on the fly. But it's getting there.....